Friday, December 2, 2016

December 2

Dear Mother,
   Well I will start the month of December out right
and send you a letter right away. It isn't much
more than 6 hours old yet either. My morning
to build fire. That is why I am up and plenty
of time to write.
    I have just about caught up on all of my
letter writing now since getting back from my
furlough. Seems good to get a little time off to rest
up. Wish I could have spent it at home though.
   How is everything around home now? Have they
started to drill for oil anywhere esle yet?
   Received a nice billfold from Irene yesterday. It
is rather small for these English pound notes but I
hope not to use it in England all the time. I hope
we will be able to be together long before this
time next year. Gee a year ago I was headed
for home. It seems like it has been longer
than that. Time hasn't stood still since we came
across. It really seems short for the time we have
been here But I am glad it does go fast.
   Just about to end of the page, so will say
goodbye for now. Hope I get some mail again
soon. Write soon and often.          Your son
                                                               Ralph

The next letter will be posted on Dec. 5th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • This was sent as a V-mail. I could not read the date he wrote, but the censor stamp was Dec. 2 and the envelope cancellation was Dec. 17th. 
  • A British pound note could measure 80 mm by 149 mm (or 3" by 5.8"). The dollar measures 2.6" by 6.14".


No comments:

Post a Comment