Wednesday, December 14, 2016

England December 14

Dear Mother,
              I really don't know what to write about. Your
last letter I received was written just a month ago today.
I imagine it is so slow now because of all the Christmas
rush in the states.
         We have been busy here as usual. Everyone is
beginning to talk about home and Christmas. I sure wish
I could be there myself. Some days I get so lonesome
and blue I just don't know what to do with myself.
I have received about four letters from Irene in the
last three weeks. When our mail does roll in again
I imagine we will be swamped with letters for awhile.
    Talk about me getting lost in the English fogs. Well
I have seen some of them and we have had about every
kind of weather there are to have. I have a chest cold,
but it is beginning to breakup. I bought some limey
vapourub in London from a chemist.
      Everyone has been receiving packages from home. I guess
all of mine have arrived ok. Tell me what you all sent
me and then I will know if I got everything.
      Everyone has donated part of their Christmas candy and
our weekly rations for all the British children. They are
giving Christmas parties all over the U.K. for the kids. They
really like the Yanks over here.
       I haven't had  my Metamora paper arrive yet, but
I hope it does soon. Irene said my letter I wrote appeared
in it. It really is nice to receive all the clippings. I know
quite a few of the fellows and it is nice to know where they
are stationed. I have written to Dean Mohr but haven't heard
from him as yet. I hope to in a few days.

   Maybe I will be able to see him over here. I sure
hope so. It would seem good to see and old friend
again.
       Received a Christmas card from Donna Dague the
other day. I have written her already and thanked her
for remembering me. I could think who in Wellington
be writing to me. Received cards from Charley Ray's
Virginia, Doris Irma and almost everyone. I guess I
wasn't forgotten only by some of my own relatives. I did
send all of them a card though. So they can't say I failed
on my part.
        Gee, I sure hope Irene will come over home for
Christmas. I wish I could see here when she opens the
present you got for her. But I guess I must wait until
all of this mess is over with.
     I suppose by now you have the tiling all done at home.
I guess Dad has put quite a few improvements in the old
place lately. I won't know it from the painting it has
had. Freeman says it looks so different now. Home will
always look like home to me though.
        I bet it really seems queer just for three of you
there now. It seems as if the family all grew up fast
and left soon after I did. This war has really changed
things an awlful lot.
        Well this is about all for tonight. Sure hope your
letters all come soon. I try to write every week but
sometimes it is hard to write about. I wish I could write
just what I wanted to. This letter would be sheets longer
and a lot more exciting. But that will have to be my
talk when I arrive home in the good old U.S. Goodbye
for now. Tell King's I wish them a merry Christmas.
                                            Your son.
                                                  Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on December 18th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Ralph's use of chemist is what the British refer to as a pharmacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment