Monday, December 5, 2016

Sunday Evening December 5, 1943.

Dear Mother,
          How are you this nice and crisp December
day? How is the weather at home? Is it like any
of the weather back there a year ago? Remember I was
home just a year ago. Gosh I sure wish I could
be there this year. But I guess it has to be this
way. Oh well maybe we will be able to be together
before another year rolls around. I guess after
a fellow is over here for a while and the new-
ness of the country wears off he starts thinking
of home again. It will soon be 18 months that
I have been in the army. It really seems longer
than that.
          Today was my day off. I didn't go into London
this time. I was into a little town near our field.
It is dead on Sundays and most everyday of the
week. It is about 2 mile into town. I walked it
both ways. Gosh the only way a fellow can get
around is by walking. Then you are liable to be
run over by a bicycle or a baby buggy. They
sure have enough of them over here. I don't know
if they get them lend lease or not.
     Our passes for over Christmas have been canceled
from going into London. They figure the railroads
will be crowded enough anyway. The trains
are always crowded now.
     My money is rather short this month. I
borrowed money to go on my furlough so now
I am rather flat. The weather isn't fit to go
anywhere so it don't make much difference. I guess
it is a lot better this year than it was last
year. Maybe our seasons are changing.

I received a letter from the editor of the
Metamora Record. She said they were glad to
hear from me and my name had been placed
on their mailing list. So maybe I will receive
the paper now. It will be good to get all the
news instead of just clippings. She told me where
Dean was at, or what outfit he is in and also
her son-in-law. I think I know just about
where one of them are stationed. Maybe I will
drop him a short letter soon.
     I suppose you had company today. Did
you have a good meal? I sure would like to
set down and eat all the chicken I could. I bet
I would clean up a plate full.
     Well this is about all for tonight. How is the
oil well comeing? Please write soon, and tell
everyone I said hello. I am glad I didn't receive
any of the V-mail stationery. Ours is different and
the government furnishes it to us. Tell everyone
not to send any of the V-mail stationery.
Goodnight for now.
                                  Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Dec. 14th.

Background Information (and comments):


  • Here's general information about the Lend-Lease Act (from Wikipedia) and a chart about motorcycles (not bicycles) from http://www.theliberator.be/

The Lend-Lease policy, formally titled "An Act to Promote the Defense of the United States", (Pub.L. 77–11, H.R. 1776, 55 Stat. 31, enacted March 11, 1941)[1] was a program under which the United States supplied Free France, the United Kingdom, the Republic of China, and later the USSR and other Allied nations with food, oil, and materiel between 1941 and August 1945. This included warships and warplanes, along with other weaponry. It was signed into law on March 11, 1941 and ended in September 1945. In general the aid was free, although some hardware (such as ships) were returned after the war. In return, the U.S. was given leases on army and naval bases in Allied territory during the war. Canada operated a similar smaller program under a different name.
A total of $50.1 billion (equivalent to $660 billion today) worth of supplies was shipped, or 17% of the total war expenditures of the U.S.[2] In all, $31.4 billion went to Britain, $11.3 billion to the Soviet Union, $3.2 billion to France, $1.6 billion to China, and the remaining $2.6 billion to the other Allies. Reverse Lend-Lease policies comprised services such as rent on air bases that went to the U.S., and totaled $7.8 billion; of this, $6.8 billion came from the British and the Commonwealth. The terms of the agreement provided that the materiel was to be used until returned or destroyed. In practice very little equipment was returned. Supplies that arrived after the termination date were sold to Britain at a large discount for £1.075 billion, using long-term loans from the United States. Canada operated a similar program called Mutual Aid that sent a loan of $1 billion and $3.4 billion in supplies and services to Britain and other Allies.[3][4]

Lend-Lease Part 3B – Page 13

Line

Item Description:
Motorcycle

Totals

Remarks
5Solo, Chain Drive, 45 cu in38,103Harley-Davidson WLA
6Solo, 30.50 cu in26,914Indian Model 741
7Chain Drive, w/sidecar1,789Indian Model 340
Indian Model 344

No comments:

Post a Comment