Tuesday, November 15, 2016

England. Nov. 29, 1943

Dear Mother,
        Well here I am back from my furlough.
I had a grand time, although I would have
enjoyed it a lot more if it had been in the
good old U.S.A.
         My furlough was spent in Torquay
England. It is a pleasure resort. I was there
over Thanksgiving and enjoyed myself very
much. I stayed at the Red Cross Club there
and the field director was from Wauseon Ohio.
We had a very interesting visit and I was the
first one nearest his home town since he
has been here.
      I am sending you a  menus of our dinner
there. It was a grand dinner to. In the afternoon
we had a dance. The W.R.E.N. were there.
These are the Womens Reserve Elisted Navy.
      I guess I will have to tell you more about
the place when I get home. I guess I will have
a lot to tell everyone about my experiences.
      There was hardly any mail all week until
yesterday and then none from you. I had plenty
of reading and I will have plenty of writing. I haven't
wrote at all while was on my furlough. I sure
had a grand time while I was away.

     How is everything at home now? Everyone
says you are trying to have a little snow
around there. I have seen a little around here
also. I wish it would freeze up and then a
person could walk half way descent.
         I hope I get a letter from you today. It seems
so long since I have heard from you.
      We have been haveing mice in our huts
and we have some traps now. Last night
we caught three. Everytime we catch one we
make a swatktita swatika on the trap.
     Had a letter from Freeman again. Gee it really
keeps me busy writing to everyone. Especially
when you get a week behind.
       Well I guess this will be about all for now.
Must get to work soon. Write soon and often.
                                             Love   Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Dec. 2nd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • From Wikipedia: Torquay is a seaside resort town on the English Channel in Devon, South West England. Known for beaches such as Babbacombe and cliffside Oddicombe, its coastline is nicknamed the English Riviera. Torquay Harbour near the town centre offers shops, cafes and a marina. Torre Abbey, a monastery founded in 1196, has art galleries and extensive gardens featuring plants from local native Agatha Christie's novels.
  • Here is a photo from another website; it was captioned "The aftermath of the Luftwaffe attack on St Marychurch Parish Church on May 30, 1943"
    Read more at http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/1943-bomber-photo-taken-day-devastation-torquay/story-16846880-detail/story.html#gGEOrSRAg30SZtH5.99

  • For more information about the W.R.E.N.S, here is a web link and one of their posters:
    • http://caber.open.ac.uk/schools/stanway/Wrens.html

No comments:

Post a Comment