Monday, August 29, 2016

England Sunday Aug. 29.

                        1

Dear Mother,
     Well another week has
rolled by and time for me to
drop you a few lines.
     I think I am going to go to
church tonight. We had a short
service this morning during
our working hours, otherwise
I wouldn't even know that it
was Sunday. One day is just
like another here. I sure wish
I could drop in and surprise
everyone at home. But I know
that is really impossible to do.
     I received your letter yesterday
the one of August 20th. I got four
yesterday and none today. So I hardly
know what to write about tonight.

                          2

     Our first Sargeant got his
dandruff up in the air this morning
and about 12 barracks of us were
on his K.P. list. From Master
Sargeants on down. Our blackout
wasn't complete enough for him,
and our barracks didn't even
have our lights on. He really
can see things. I thought he
was quite a good fellow before
he got overseas but I am rapidly
changing my mind. I guess we
all have our troubles no matter
where we are at. I know I really
get down in the dumps once in
a while myself. It really does get
lonesome here, because wherever
you go you have to walk. They do
have trucks going to town every
night but when you get there

                         3

there isn't anything to do. So you
might as well stay in camp.
     I have been writing to you
more on this side I believe than
I did in the U.S. but I really don't
have much to write about.
     I must close for now. Hope this
letter finds everyone ok and
give my best regards to all of
my friends.
                         Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Sept. 5th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I thought the expression Ralph used about his first sergeant should have been "got his dander up", but after some research, I found the expression he used. 
  • It is often reported that 'it gets my dandruff up' is one of Samuel Goldwyn's celebrated Goldwynisms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment