Monday, September 5, 2016

England Sunday Sept 5 complete letter (posted on May 5)

Dear Mother & all,
     I received your letter of Aug.
24th yesterday. It was a very nice
letter and I enjoyed it very much.
The newspaper clippings came
through ok. I sure would like
to receive either the Metamora
paper or the Blissfield paper. I
would like to know where a lot
of the fellows are and what they
are doing.
     You asked me about my
A P O address. Inform all of them
at home and around there my
correct A P O number is 635
     Yes the country side over
here is really clean and
neat. Most of the roads are

narrow and have hedges along
both sides. They wind around
hills and are rolling and a lot
of curves. It really is a pretty
sight.
     Lots of houses have thatch
roofs and all of them are of stone
or brick. They all have a lot
of chimneys and I guess most
of there heating is done by
fireplaces. Some have electricity
but you can't see any lights anyway
on account of the blackouts.
     Yes we have a few fresh
vegatables for our meals. Most
of our meals are good meals.
I could really use some of
those nice fresh eggs. Ours
are all powdered eggs and I really
get tired of them. We have fresh

meats and our cooks have improved
a lot.
     I was at a Sunday service
again while we were working. I
sure will be glad to get back
to the church again.
     Goodbye for now. Please
write often. I really enjoy all
the letters I receive. Tell all
hello for me. Goodbye.
                            Love Ralph.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I posted just the first page of this letter on Sept. 5, 2016 and noted that the rest of the letter was missing. I found the last 2 pages stuck in with the letters written in April. I thought his description of the area was interesting, so I re-posted the entire letter.





1 comment:

  1. Barb - The arrow should be lower to the south. Yankee Rd is the first road north of the Ohio border in the very light shade.

    ReplyDelete