Friday, August 12, 2016

England August 12, 1943

Dear Mother,
          Hope this finds everyone well and happy.
I have just received one letter this week. It was
from Luella and she wrote as if she hadn't heard
where I am at yet. I suppose by this time you
have received some of my letters. You should have
anyway. My mail is awlful so in coming in.
Has Morgan left for the Air Corps yet? If you see
him or his folks tell him to write. I try to write
to a lot of folks, but as it stands now I haven't
very much to write about. There is a lot I know
you would like to hear about, but it is impossible
for me to put it in.
          I am well, except for a slight cold but
one can expect it here in England. It is a cool
damp climate and they don't start the heat in the
buildings until Sept. I suppose on account of the
fuel. We could stand some of that August heat
you have back home right now.
          We get all the latest news in the army paper.
It is called the "Stars and Stripes". We don't have
many magazines to read. I have most of them
read. I must say goodbye for now for this
page don't hold very much. Tell everyone I said
hello and I send my regards to everyone.
                                                Your Son.
                                                                 Ralph

The next letter will be posted on August 13th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Morgan Ford was Ralph's cousin. Morgan's mother (Susie) and Ralph's father (William) were sister and brother. Their offspring still gather every year at the Brown Reunion. This year it will take place on August 28th and it will be the 94th annual reunion. It will be held at Ellis Park in Blissfield MI.
  • The Stars and Stripes newspaper was begun in 1861 during the Civil War. It is still published today and is available in electronically.
  • Ralph sent this letter as a V-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment