Friday, August 19, 2016

England. Thursday Aug 19.

Dear Mother,
          How are you at this
writing? I have received a few
letters and they sure are
nice to receive them. This is
the first time I have been
able to write to you this
week.
     Sunday I went into a small
village and they are all
alike. We aren't [censored]
we [censored] were [censored]
     I am sorry I don't write
very long letter. There
isn't hardly a thing that
we are able to write
about. So I guess all I can
write is that I am well

and feeling fine.
     I hope to get a pass
sometime and visit London.
I hope that is a little livier
place than some of these
place.
     Goodbye for now. I will
try to write more in my
next letter. Goodbye and
write often. Send them
by airmail.
                 Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on August 22nd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Ralph wrote this letter on airmail paper, so it is narrower and shorter, as well as paper thin.
  • According to the stamp, an airmail letter cost 6 cents to mail. (No more free postage.)
  • Censoring delays the mail; he wrote it on the 19th, but it was postmarked on the 21st.
  • Here is the censored letter (sorry it's sideways).


No comments:

Post a Comment