Wednesday, August 24, 2016

England Aug 24, 1943

                        1

Dear Mother,
     Received two letters from
you today. One of Aug. 3rd and
Aug 17. I am glad my mail is
getting through now and you
should be receiving mail quite
regular.
     I got some of Irene's letters
too, they are all old letters
but I am glad to receive them though.
     They really have fast cable
service from here. I sent the
cable a couple of day after
we docked.
     I wish we had some of
your heat here. We have a
fire in our hut every morning.
We lay the fire every night

                      2
and when the bugle sounds
the one sleeping nearest to it
throws in a match. We lay in
bed a few minutes and it takes
the chill out of the air.
     Gee some of those chicken dinners
you have been haveing really
sounds good to me. I can't complain
are meals have been fair and
they are improving so maybe
they will be ok after while.
     I wish you would send Morgs
address to me. Try and get my
address to him, will you?
     Yes, Irene wrote me about
Ferne. I guess everything will
be changed a lot when I get home.
Things don't seem to happen
so fast or you just don't notice
them until you are away.

                       3
     Tell Dad I could be a big help
to him on the barn for I have
been doing the same thing. I
am now in Myrl's old trade.
I guess we must go in the army
to learn things. I will have
plenty of trades to follow when
this war is all over.
     From our papers we receive
and read here I don't know how
this will last much longer. It
surely can't go on forever, and you
can count on me settling down
after it is all of over with.
     Thursday is my day off here
and I hope to visit London.
     Has Mehams received any
word from Morgan? I would like
to know where some of the boys
are at. I haven't run into any as

                      4
yet, but the other night I saw
Charles Taylors name in a
Red Cross registers books at a
club here. Glenn will remember
him. He is from Maumee Ohio.
     Well I must close for now. I
think you will be receiving a
letter from me quite regular
now. My new APO No is
635. So please change it.
     Goodbye for now and please
write soon again. Loads of
love.
                               Ralph
Send me snapshots if it isn't
to much trouble.


The next letter will be posted on August 27th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Thanks to Jerry Guth (husband of Joyce Brown Guth whose parents were Cliff & Marie Brown). In the 1940 census, he found that Irene Setzler was 18 with sisters Ima 17, Fern 15, and Marilyn 12. That makes Irene, Ralph's fiancee, 21 in 1943, and Fern would be 18.
  • Morgan was Ralph's first cousin and had recently entered the service. The Mehams were neighbors (as far as I know they were no relation to Ralph or Morgan).
  • Glenn was one of Ralph's brothers who lived in the family homestead his entire life.
  • Myrl Spalding was married to Ralph's only sister, Luella. 
  • Here is a photo of Morgan Ford and his mother Susie Brown Ford. It was taken in 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment