Sunday, July 26, 2015

Parks Air College East St. Louis, Ill. July 26, 1942

Dear Mother,

Well here it is Sunday afternoon. I am over at the U.S.O. in St. Louis Mo. was back to J.B. to see some of my friends. Rumors really grow fast in a place like that. You know the boy I spoke about that died. Well here was just in the hospital is all. He was very serious ill tho.

It looks like it could rain any minute. It has been kinda sholta (?) here today. I got up about 9:00 this morning. Three of us went to church. We went to a Lutheran Church. One of the boys was from Iowa, Kentucky and I from Michigan. It was a real nice service. The first since I have been in the army.

I am doing a lot of studying. The propeller class is interesting but so many Technical names. We have to learn each one. It is raining out now. Hope I don't get wet going back.

I suppose you attended church this morning. How is everything around Berkey? I have so many letters to write but I don't know when I will find time to write. Our school work really keeps us on the jump. I don't want to fail, because in a short time after school there is a possible chance of being made a Tech Sarg. I hope so. Then I can start giving a few orders.

I am making out on changing over from day to night all right. Getting so I sleep later every morning. Have you sent Irene's picture yet? Everyone of the fellows has there girl friends pictures here. We really have a nice place to sleep. Plenty of food and good showers. I haven't gotten any pay yet. I don't know if I will got any soon or not. Some say we will others say not before the 10th. I will be running out if I don't get some soon.

The porch looks swell. Are you going to do anything to the front porch? Do you eat on the porch?

I am wearing an air corp emblem on my sleeve. It makes a lot of difference people here have high honor for the air corp. They treat us swell. Get a lot of treats and when walking up town they give us lifts. Well I can't think of much more to say. I'll write later. So long for now.

Love Ralph


Background Information:


  • This letter was written on paper provided by the USO. To learn more about the USO during the war, check this website: http://www.ww2uso.org/
  • Also the envelope is the first one that was stamped with a slogan to promote the sale of defense savings bonds and stamps. More information on these bonds and stamps can be found at: http://www.nationalww2museum.org/
The next letter will be posted on Aug. 3rd.



No comments:

Post a Comment