Monday, August 3, 2015

Parks Air College Aug. 3, 1942

Dear Mother,

Well here it is August already. The summer will soon be over before we know it. It is cool here this morning. It started to rain just as we were falling out for roll call, it didn't make anybody mad to miss drill either.

I went to church again yesterday. The Lutheran service is a lot different than ours. The preacher is sure a nice person. He remembered me from the Sunday before. I think I have him drop Mr. Meyer a letter someday. Mr. Meyer said he wanted me to have our chaplain or minister write to him.

Yesterday I went to St. Louis to the main U.S.O. club over there it is in the Municipal Auditorium. It is the larger than the Civic Auditorium in Toledo. Really have a crowd there too. About a thousand girls and all kinds of entertainment. It really is a grand place. They have cookie jars setting around filled with cookies all of the time. Just like sneaking cookies at home.

I can't think of much to say. Nothing happens but school all of the time. We have so much studying to do that we don't have much time to do anything esle. I have been up town a few times. My money is running low. If I don't get some pay soon I will just about be broke. My suitcase arrived ok. Now I can keep my winter underwear in it and have more room in my locker.

I have had the heat rash all over me for about 3 weeks. It is dissappearing now. I hope it doesn't come back. It just about drove me crazy. Have you heard that June Setzler was married? Irene says she ran away and got married. She hasn't been home yet. Irene says she probably scared to come home. She promised her folks she would be married until after the war was over. I hope they aren't to hard on her. She's always had to have her own way tho so I guess she will have to still have it. They are living in Findlay Ohio. That is where Vernon works. I guess he goes to the army soon. Charlie Stutzman will be in by Sept. I guess the Setzler girls will all be without boyfriends. Well I can't think of much more to write. So I guess I will have to close. So long.

Ralph.


Background Information:


  • Here is some information I found about the Civic Auditorium in Toledo, OH. 
    If walls could talk, The Toledo Civic Theatre (also known as the Erie Street Market) would tell a dramatic tale, noteworthy to most are the names of such legendary performers as Elvis Presley and boxer Joe Louis. Since being built in 1913, this site has led many “lives”, all sharing one common quality: the focus of public attention. The (Toledo Civic Theatre) is, quite simply, a star. 

    In 1913, the Erie Street Market was constructed as an open-air warehouse for wholesale fruit and vegetable farmers. TO sell their fresh products efficiently, the farmers would drive their trucks inside the building, and let the day’s bargaining begin.

    In the 1920’s, city officials turned to the Market when the public demanded a gathering place to hold conventions and attract people downtown. They renovated the facility and, in 1927, the Civic Auditorium opened its doors for the first time as a public exhibition and entertainment hall.

    The Auditorium’s stage, was host to many famous entertainers and celebrities. Elvis Presley performed on that very stage in the early 1960’s! People from Toledo and beyond came to the Civic Auditorium for trade expos, bridal shows, automobile exhibitions, flower shows and even boxing matches - including a match featuring Joe Louis!

The next letter will be posted on August 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment