Saturday, September 30, 2017

9-29-44

Dear Mother,
         Well here it is Friday already and time I was
writing another letter this week. This is the only
letter I have written since Sunday. I have only
received two this week. One from Luella and
Marie. Mail seems to be awlful mixed up lately.
         How is everyone at home now? It seems
so long since I have had a letter from you.
I do hope I receive some mail today.
         It seems as if the week has gone so slow
for me. I haven't heard from Harley as yet. I
really can't understand why I haven't heard from
him. Have you heard from him lately? We
are haveing regular fall weather here now. I seen
a few loads of sugar beets go by. I never did
get to visit the sugar plant over here. I suppose
the one at home has started again. Well this is
all for now. Write soon as possible.
                                                        Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on October 3rd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • This was sent as a V mail. I cannot read the censor's date, but it was postmarked on October 7 at 9 PM. So, mail really is slow. Ralph will be writing his next letter 4 days before this one even got postmarked.
  • At one time, either before or after the war, Ralph worked at a sugar beet factory in Blissfield MI. Here's what I found:
The following listing displays the Michigan cities in which sugar factories were built, the capacity of tons sliced at the date of construction and the capacity at the time the factory discontinued operations or, for those still in operation, the current slicing capacity.

Blissfield 600 - 1000 1905 - 1950

Blissfield Dyer Company Continental Sugar Company

No comments:

Post a Comment