Thursday, September 7, 2017

England. Sept. 7, 1944

Dear Mother & all,
      Received your very nice long letter
of Aug. 24 yesterday. I am glad you feel
better. I could even notice it in your
letter. It was longer and a lot more
news in it.
      As for my knowledge I have gained
in my travels. There will never be
a place better than the good old U.S. But
I guess it will be sometime before I see
it. From what I get out of this demobilization
plan it looks as if I might as well
make the Army my life work. Maybe
it won't be so bad after it is straightened
out. It doesn't sound any to good just
now though.
      Well mother I am a gunner now. I
have completed a course in the machine
gun. But it is just for my own benefit.
Probably won't have to touch one even.
      Gee things are going to be so changed
by the time I get home All the painting

remodeling and building. I sure won't
know how home is.
      You said it cooled off at home. We have
had a fire almost every week night for a
week. It takes the dampness out of the
hut. There is plenty of it to. Harley is
probably finding out what English weather
is like now.
      I sure wish I could have a few fresh
peaches to eat. They ask 6 shillings a
piece for them here. That is about $1.20 each.
I don't suppose it costs that much a bushel
there.
      I can't imagine Raymond Ford getting
married. I guess I will just end up being
a bachelor. Where is he working now. He
must have a good job to step out and buy
a home.
      I just receive a very nice letter from
Pearl this week. She sure is doing
her share in writing to me over here.
Said she was trying to get me some
films. She said she believed her niece
would never put any faith in men again.

      I feel the same way. I don't believe I
will put any faith in anymore girls. I guess
it is best it happened to me. Probably be
to old by the time I get out. But whom she
is going with is just a bad off as I am.
He's in the navy. Has her folks ever
said anything to you about it? If they do
just tell them what I think about it. I think
it is mighty low down for her to do this.
      Didn't Ilene's husband go into the Army?
You know I called on them in Texas. He was
ready to leave then.
      No mother there isn't anything I want
special for Christmas. Don't send me anything
I will have to carry around with me. I doubt
if I will always be in England, and we are
overstocked now with things to carry.
I guess this is about all for now. I
hope you continue to improve in health.
Goodbye for now.
                                Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Sept. 10th.

Background Information (and comments):
  • Raymond Ford was one of Ralph's first cousins. One of his brothers was Morgan Ford, who Ralph has mentioned in previous letters. Their mother was Susie Brown Ford, the sister of Ralph's father. Raymond had a hearing impairment.
  • The demobilization plan was also called personnel readjustment. Here is some information I found:
2 August 1944

I.Those to be transferred from one theater to another or from US to a theater.
II. Those to be retained for service in theaters, overseas commands, or in US.
III. Those to be inactivated.

Allotments were given by WD to theaters and major commands and CG's, AAF, ASF, and AGF indicating the number of personnel to be designated for separation.

Theaters would designate only those officers who were surplus to theater needs and return them to the US to the control of appropriate major command who in turn would designate those to be separated. Enlisted in accordance with allotments would be designated nonessential by their CG's on basis of ASR cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment