Tuesday, October 3, 2017

England. Oct. 3, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
         Received your letter of Sept. 21 today and
was glad to hear from you. It is about my
first letter from you for almost three weeks.
I guess my mail comeing through to you
is slow also.
         I suppose you have received my little
gift from Ireland by now. I sent each one
a hankie from there.
       Well from all letters I received from Marie
and Luella I guess Harley got to the continent
ahead of me. I haven't heard from him as yet.
I sure wish I could be home to attend
the good old county fair again. It really is
going to be grand to get back there where
everything will seem like home again.
        Yes the home place will look lots better
all fixed up. You didn't quite have to porches
remodeled when I was home last. It soon will
be two years. Gosh what a long time.

I know it really seems longer to you and
me both.
        Gee you sure don't have all the children
around anymore at all. It would really seem
strange for me to walk in and just see
you and Dad sitting down to eat.
I guess from what you tell me about Harley's
living conditions is rather rough. It will be
hard for me to break away from my soft living
and start roughing it.
        Well mother I really can't figure Irene out
myself. I had a letter from her about three
weeks ago, I really don't know what to do. She
wrote me rather a strange letter and I am
still thinking just how to answer it. I am going
to wait awhile and see if I get another letter. She
wanted an answer at once.
       We are haveing rather good fall weather here
it gets rather cool at night but have sunshine
almost everyday. We have a fire in our stove
every morning when we get up. Does Harley

have a more complete address now? If so
please send me his complete address. I might
be able to hunt him up.
        Well this is about all for now. So long
and write when you can. I will try to write
as often as possible.
                                       Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on October 13th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • A photo was still in the envelope with this letter. The quality is very poor. I've also included a recent photo of his home so you can see the 2 porches (front and left side).


No comments:

Post a Comment