Sunday, July 30, 2017

England. July 30, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
       I have had two letters from you
this week so will try to answer
them now. I am glad you feel a little
bit better. Well mother, I found out
before it was to late. Maybe if the
war hadn't parted us it would have
been ok, but now things have
changed. I guess it is all through
with Irene and I. Oh well it isn't
to much a shock to me. I have been
away from her to long.
       The way your letters read you have
been having plenty of company lately. It
is nice to think people haven't forgotten
you. I imagine it has been rather
hot back in the states. There is hardly
a day that I don't wear my jacket to work.
     I sure would like to spend a nice
quiet weekend at some lake. Gosh it
sure is going to seem good to be your
own boss again. It seems like so

long ago that I have driven in a car. Although
I do get to drive a jeep once in awhile,
and an English lorry.
     The farmers are beginning to cut their
grains over here now also. One thing
about this country I don't see any corn
at all. It seems rather odd. Your last
letter only took ten days in comeing through.
     How is Freeman's leg now? Gosh I
sure hope it isn't broken.
     Don't mention those black bugs. They
sure are thick here. They almost
drive me nuts sometimes. I had a
letter from Pearl Myers a few day ago.
I guess when I get back home I am going
to have to take about 3 months and just
travel around visiting. I hope Harley has
arrived home lately. Gosh he must have
changed. Well this is about all I can
think of tonight. Must get my new
stripes on my sleeve. Goodnight for
now. Please write as often as possible.
                                 Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on August 2nd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • If you've been following the posts, you know that Ralph entered the service on June 10, 1942 and spent the first year in the states (mostly Missouri and Texas), before being "sent across" in July of 1943. His letter from July 28, 1943 was the first one to inform his mother that he had arrived safely in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment