Thursday, July 13, 2017

England. July 13, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
         Received your short letter
with Audrey's letter yesterday. Also
one from Donna Staup and three
from Irene.
        Well it looks as if you
won't have to count on a wedding
very soon after I am home.
Irene asked me, if I cared if
she didn't wear her ring anymore.
She says it is so long since
she has seen me and she
gets lonesome and has had
chances of going out. I guess I
would be selfish not to break
our engagement. So I told her
to go ahead an enjoy herself. But
I think the end of the war is

in sight. We still won't quit
writing to each other and plan
to get together again after the
war. Maybe we both will
feel different about each other
when we do get together again.
It has me worried and upset
a little. Quite a few of the fellows
are receiving word that their
girlfriends are getting married to
some 4F guy. Well let them,
but someday they will remember
it was the soldier who fought
for a place for there peaceful
home. I don't blame Irene very
much though. I know just how
lonely it can get. But still she
has many more freedoms than
I do.
     How is everyone at home now?

I hope you feel much better now.
You were telling about haveing
fresh tomatoes to eat. I have had
them quite a few times now. We
have had fresh cabbages, lettuce
peas, radishes and also new
potatoes. I guess we are eating
rather well for being away from
home.
      On my day off I just took a
bus ride to see the country. At
this time of year it is pretty. It
is rolling and everything is so
green. The grain is beginning to
turn and if we had some warm
weather it would soon ripen.
      From all letters you folks
must have all the heat. I have
wore a jacket almost everyday
over here. It is a cool summer.

   I suppose everyone is greatly concern
about all the news from this
side of the world. It all looks very
favorable from where I can see it
and all of us are hopeing this
summer is the end of it.
     Well not much more to write
about tonight. Hope you feel a
lot better now.
                        Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on 22nd.

Background Information (and comments):
  • If you don't know what 4F means, here is a chart that shows all the military classifications for draftees during WWII:

WORLD WAR II [through 1947?]
[From Selective Service Regulations. Volume Three. Classification & Selection, 1940 (see Subject File: Conscientious Objection/Objectors -- Government Documents); also "Memorandum Of the Rights Of Conscientious Objectors Under the Draft Laws As Of December 1, 1942" (see Subject File: Conscientious Objection/Objectors -- U.S. Sources, 1942)]* all males between the ages of 18 & 65 were required to register for the draft; those who became 18 after January 1, 1943 were to register on their 18th birthday
IAvailable for service
I-AAvailable; fit for general military service
I-A-OConscientious objectors eligible for military service in noncombatant role
I-BAvailable; fit only for limited military service
I-B-OConscientious objectors available for limited service [not used after Aug. 18, 1942]
I-CMembers of land or naval forces of the United States
I-DStudents fit for general military service; available not later than July 1, 1941
I-EStudents fit for limited military service; available not later than July 1, 1941
I-HMen deferred by reason of age [not in effect any more, as provision deferring men over 28 years of age had been repealed?]
IIDeferred because of occupational status
II-AMen necessary in their civilian activity
II-BMen necessary to national defense
II-CMen necessary to farm labor
IIIDeferred because of dependents
III-AMen with dependents, not engaged in work essential to national defense
III-BMen with dependents, engaged in work essential to national defense
IVDeferred specifically by law or because unfit for military service
IV-AMen who had completed service [not considered in time of war]
IV-BOfficials deferred by law
IV-CNondeclarant aliens
IV-DMinisters of religion or divinity students
IV-EConscientious objectors available only for civilian work of national importance
IV-E-LSConscientious objectors available for limited civilian work of national importance
IV-E-HMen formerly classified in IV-E or IV-E-LS, since deferred by reason of age
IV-FMen physically, mentally or morally unfit

1 comment:

  1. Finally I get to find out how come Irene isn't your mother. How sad for your father and all the soldiers who got those Dear John letters.

    ReplyDelete