Monday, June 26, 2017

England June 26, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
      Received your letter of June 15, yesterday.
I was glad to hear that you wee feeling
better and Marie was there helping you
out. I suppose it isn't quite so lonesome
now that Audrey is around there with
you.
      I suppose my car was all decked out
in the usual wedding trimings. I hope I
will be able to deck it out myself soon.
I am glad Dad has all the crops in by now.
I suppose the corn will be knee high by
the fourth this year. I don't know what I
will do this fourth. I was busy last year.
Remember?
      My day off was yesterday and I went to
the Red Cross in town to sleep. It was
really good to take a hot shower and
jump into a bed between two clean
white sheets. We get tired of sleeping between
these wool blankets all the time. I never
woke up until of  one of the girls that

makes up the beds came in and woke
me up. So I missed going to church. But the
sleep was really a lot to me. In the afternoon
I just layed around in the park, and spent a
very quite summer afternoon.
   What did you think of the other pictures I sent
you? Please don't much attention to the
dirty coveralls. That is almost second nature
now. I can't keep clean at my job.
   I hope someone will be able to send me
a few snapshots of the wedding. Gosh from
the way your letters sound Freeman has
certainly changed. I probably won't know him.
They are making hay over here now. They
stack all of there hay and grain around here.
Some of the farmers are still threshing. They
don't grow any corn here.
   I sure wish I could have some of those
strawberries. But I guess we eat pretty fair.
Tonight we had ice cream. All we could eat.
Of course it isn't the best ice cream.
   I suppose there was a big crowd at the
wedding. Well maybe after I get home there
will be another one, but I must get

adjusted to civilian life again and find
myself a job.
     I see by the Metamora paper that Don
Prisby is home on furlough. I bet he is
glad to get away from this war for awhile.
Those fellows in the pacific are doing a
grand job.
    Well mother this is about all for tonight.
Hope to hear from all of you real often.
Goodnight for now.
                                        Love Ralph


The next letter will be posted on June 29th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here are excerpts from Ralph's 1943 letters (the only one he wrote around the fourth)
    • On July 3 he wrote, "This is the last letter I will write in Texas. So please don't send anymore mail here.....There is a lot to write but I can't write it. It makes it hard to write."
    • On July 9 he wrote, "I am still in the United States but can't say where...We had a nice trip and I seen a lot of country I have never seen before and a lot of it I have seen."
  • Going back to 1942, here is what he wrote that year from Jefferson Barracks, Mo.
    • On July 3 he wrote, "Well here it is July 3 already. We just got thru having a G.I. party. That is confinement to our tents for punishment of two hours and scrub them with a brush, soap and water. Somebody in Flight A had a dirty tent and the whole squadron pays for it"
    • ...."I think all the men here realize that we are here for one reason and the sooner we can get into action and get it over with so much the better."

No comments:

Post a Comment