Thursday, June 22, 2017

England June 22, 1944.

Dear Mother,
        Received your letter today of June 8.
I was glad to hear from you and hope
more of my letters have been received
by you now. The mail being held up
is one thing I can't do a thing about.
     I imagine that big house does seem
empty and lonesome now.
     Yes Marie is a fine worker. She
always seemed to cheer me up whenever
I was feeling blue. Were you able to
attend the wedding? I hope so.
     Gee those strawberries sure sound
good to me. I hadn't even thought of
strawberries until you had mentioned
them. I guess I have been to busy
even to think about the season of the
year. You sound as if you have been
haveing some English weather around
there. That is the way it goes here. One
doesn't know how to dress even.
I bet it seems awlfully funny to you
to have Dad getting the breakfast. I wouldn't
know how to act with such a small

group at a meal. It will be grand though
to get back to eating where the food is on
the table before you. No lines.
     I have some pictures to send to you.
They are of a few things near our
camp. Notice my clean work clothes.
     This is all I can't think of for tonight.
Hope this finds you much better. I am
ok, but tired of so much work. Hope
this war soon ends. Last night the US
Army band gave a concert here. It was
very good. Goodnight for now.
                                      Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on June 26th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I found some photos that could possibly be the ones he referred to in this letter.
Ralph in his work clothes.


No comments:

Post a Comment