Monday, October 3, 2016

England Sun. Oct. 3, 1943

Dear Mother,
       Well October has rolled
around already, I received your
letter of Sept 19, and it was very
welcome. Last week, Uncle Sam
was good to me in our mail.
I received 18 letters last
week. I sure would have
like to been to the fair this
year. It sure would seem good
to see some of those good
vegetables and everything there.
       The letter that came from
the girl was in California was
address to me but it was
a different outfit.
       Gee the old neighborhood
sure is changing, isn't it?

I really won't know it when
I get home.
       I have been in London again.
Everytime I go in I find new
places to visit. This time
I visited Madame Tussaud's
Exhibition. It is a wax
museum and have figures of
all the notables of England.
It really was a grand place
to go. I enjoyed every bit
of it.
       I was to short church services
again today.They had a real
nice sermon. I sure wish
I could drop in and visit our
home church for a change.
          Well I really don't know
of much to write about. Everything
runs along just about the same.

Receiving letters every week
and answering them as fast
as possible. Nothing to say
in any of them though. I sure
hope I receive the Blissfield
paper. I sure could catch up
on all the news.
       Well I haven't anything more
to say. So must sign off for
now. Please write often.
                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Oct. 11th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • If you'd like to read about the history of Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, here is a good website: https://www.madametussauds.com 
  • Here is a brief history:
    • In 1835, Madame Tussaud and her sons established a base in London at The Baker Street Bazaar
    • Madame Tussaud died in 1850
    • In 1884, her grandsons moved the attraction to Marylebone Rd.
    • In 1925, it was devastated by fire
    • Restoration was completed in 1928, adding a cinema and restaurant
    • In 1940, it was struck by a German bomb which destroyed 352 head molds and the cinema.
    • For more details and photos of the bombing, see http://www.westendatwar.org.uk/




No comments:

Post a Comment