Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Parks Air College East Saint Louis, Illinois Aug. 5, 1942

Dear Mother,

Just received your letter so will write while it is still fresh in my mind. It didn't rain here Sunday but Sunday evening it cooled off and is swell out now. It is around 80 degrees and 85 degrees. It has been for the last 3 weeks around 105 degrees to 110 degrees.

Do you mean Mr. Meyer won't be working at Sandusky any more? It does seem like everyone around is getting married. I guess June and Vernon thought it would be cheaper. He works in Findlay Ohio and he thought it would save so much driving and his tires were poor.

How did you get tires for my car? I got the picture and suitcase ok. I got a box of cookies from Marie but they were pretty well smashed but still tasted good. I got five letters this morning. One from Irene, Irma, Lenore, Jeane Crosby she worked with Irene and a fellow I worked with at Sandusky.

I sent my name into the weekly caller. I got one paper from them all ready. It kinda cheers a fellow up even though he can't see the people.

This comming Sunday I have been invited by one of the fellows to go home with him to Louisville Ky. I haven't received any pay yet but should soon. I hope I have enough to go.

I have had a little spare time from studying lately so I have been trying to catch up on my letters. It seems good to receive them but it is so hard to write. Nothing seems to be news anymore it is eat, sleep and study. I haven't been up town this week. Tomorrow we have a garrison inspection so I won't be able to go then.

Sunday I believe I have had these best time since I have been in the army. I went to the U.S.O. club. It is as big as the Civic Auditorium in Toledo. If I repeat myself it is because I've wrote so many letters this week I forgot whom I wrote to. I think I sent you one letter this week. I really did have a nice time. They try to make everybody enjoy themselves.

Well I guess that is all of the news for now. It is getting near time to go to school anyway. Goodbye for now. Tell Ruth I will write when I have time. Tell her not to get married like everybody esle. Is Ilene Carr still out in Denver? Well so long.

Ralph


The next posting will be on Aug 9th.

Background Information: 


  • I am guessing that the "weekly caller" is a newspaper from either Metamora OH, Berkey OH, or Blissfield MI.
  • Here's some information about the rationing of rubber and an interesting website with even more details:

http://www.sarahsundin.com/

The first nonfood item rationed was rubber.  The Japanese had seized plantations in the Dutch East Indies that produced 90% of America's raw rubber.  President Roosevelt called on citizens to help by contributing scrap rubber to be recycled, old tires, old rubber raincoats, garden hose, rubber shoes, bathing caps.

To ensure enough rubber for military and vital civilian purposes, tire rationing was instituted on December 27, 1941. The program ran through December 31, 1945. Local Tire Rationing Boards issued certificates for tires or recapping upon application. Certificates for new tires were restricted to vehicles for public health and safety (medical, fire, police, garbage, and mail services), essential trucking (food, ice, fuel), and public transportation. Recapping was allowed at the discretion of the local board for any of the above, and occasionally for taxis and defense workers who shared rides. Civilians were allowed to keep five tires per automobile, and were required to surrender any others.

AMERICA NEEDS YOUR SCRAP RUBBER

Most of the world’s supply of natural rubber came from rubber tree plantations in Southeast Asia, which were quickly occupied by the Japanese in the first months of 1942. Factories converting to military production needed every scrap of rubber they could find, and citizens were asked to turn in old tires, raincoats, gloves, garden hoses, and rubber shoes for recycling. New tires became almost impossible to buy, and people tell stories of lining the insides of their tires with newspaper to make them last longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment