Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Parks Air College Aug. 26, 1942

Dear Mother,

     I just received your letter
so will answer it right away.
I have my pass for Labor Day.
I will get into Toledo at 2:05 P.M.
at the Union Station. Sunday Sept.
6. I want somebody to be there to
pick me up. I don't want to lose
anytime. I suppose you could have
a family dinner after I get there.
I would like to see everybody but
my time is going to be limited.
I will have to leave Monday night
at midnight. Of course I want a
little time to spend with Irene.
But I will spend time at home to.
     I thought I would tell you this
week so you could plan for the next
weekend. I hope it is really nice
over Labor Day. I'm figuring on wearing

my O.D uniform home. I think it
will be cool enough to wear it.
     Did you receive the pictures?
It has been cool here all week. I
caught a cold Sunday night on my
boat ride. I didn't go to church
this Sunday but figure on it next
Sunday. I think we will go to the
big catheradal in St. Louis Sunday.
There is always people inviting us
to go to church with them.
     Sunday night William Brewer
and I have been invited out to
dinner at the girls place I met last
Sunday.
     We get paid again before Labor
Day so I will have plenty of money.
I will give Glenn's back to him then.
I want some of mine put in the
bank. I was going to send it but will
give it to you Labor Day.
     I have been busy writing

letters today. One to Cliff's, Luella,
Irene and you. That is all I do
now anyway is write. My finger
has a clalouse on it where my
finger hits the fountain pen. We really
have a lot of notes to write up in our
notebooks. I have three manuals to
bring home. You can understand more
about a propeller when you see these.
Well I guess this is all for now.
I hope everyone can be home either
Sunday or Labor Day. Irene's folks
wants me over there for one meal.
I wish I could make it so I could
get to church but I guess I won't be
able to make it any sooner than 2.
Tell anybody that asks I will be there
Sunday afternoon before Labor Day.
Goodbye for now.
                               Love Ralph.


Background Information:

  • The cathedral that Ralph referred to is most likely Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis. Here is a link to its history: 

http://www.oldcathedralstl.org/history.html

  • If you're interested in the history of Toledo's Union station, here is a link: http://www.toledohistorybox.com/2012/05/28/toledos-old-union-station/
The next letter will be posted on September 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment