Sunday, August 26, 2018

Belgium Aug. 26, 45

Dear Mother & Dad,
      Received your letter of Aug
17 last Thursday and the letter
of Aug. 21 today. I can say
the mail is comeing through
real good. My shoes arrived
here on Wednesday, before
I received the letter telling
me your had bought some.
They fit ok and are just
what I wanted. Thanks a lot.
Say, on my bank account
just what do I have in it
now? I know you have kept
my insurance paid up with
it and I was wondering what
the balance should be. I figure
I should have over $900. by now.
     I guess by your two letters

to me you have really been
busy traveling around. I sure
would like to be able to go
up to Wampler's lake. I could
stand a good rest.
     Had a letter from Pearl Meyers
today. She said Kathyrn (her
niece) was in Germany some
where. Maybe I will get to see
her yet.
     As I told you before, I was
in London on VJ day. I bet the
news was just as welcome
back there in the states also.
     Today has been a grand day
here. We don't have to work on
Sundays anymore. I am on
Charge of Quarters tonight so will
have plenty of time to catch up
on my letter writing.

     There has been so many
rumors going around about what
is going to happen to us. I guess
no one knows but I think
we will be occupation for
awhile anyway. As for my
Christmas gifts I don't know
what to say. I doubt very much
if I will be home by Christmas.
I would like to have a package
again. Can you send me some
salted peanuts and the mixed
nuts? Anything esle you think
I would like to have.
     Over here the plums are
about gone now. A few apples
and pears are ripe and we
have plenty of them around here.
I had some grapes to eat in
Brussells the other day.

They really tasted good. We
get quite a few fresh tomatoes
in the mess hall now.
     Well I guess this will be the
end of my visit tonight. I hope
our mail does speed up a lot
faster now. Don't forget the
package.
                      Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on September 3rd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Ralph must have had good memories of going to Wamplers Lake with his family. In fact, a few of our family vacations took place there when I was a child.

Wampler's Lake (796 acres) is a large all-sports lake, while Round Lake (100 acres) is a small no wake lake. The lakes are connected through a channel that is used by smaller and lower profile boats.
Type of Fishing: Shore, Pier, Boat
Typical Fish Species Available: Carp, Crappie, Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Sucker, Sunfish, Yellow Perch
Bait: Worms, Minnows, Artificial
Hours: 8 am - 10 pm
Fees: Yes (Recreation Passport)

Driving Directions
Access to both, Round and Wamplers, lake is located in W.J. Hayes State Park 1220 Wamplers Lake Rd. Onsted, MI. 49265. The park is located on just north of M-12 on M-124.
Address: W.J. Hayes State Park, 1220 Wamplers Lake Rd. Onsted, MI. 49265
County: Lenawee
City/Township: Onsted and Brooklyn- Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment