Friday, August 10, 2018

Belgium Aug. 10, 1945.

Dear Mother & Dad,
       I feel as if I must write to
you tonight, after receiving your
letter of Aug 1 yesterday. Also the
news of today is so good. It
looks as if (le gare finis)
the war is finished. It really
doesn't seem possible if two
bombs would bring it about
so fast. From what news hase
come out about the damage
the bombs did it is almost
unbelievable that such power
could be made. The Japs found
out we weren't fooling.
     I suppose this makes every-
one feel very happy at home.
Harley probably is very happy
also. Well I don't blame him.

I hope this will mean that
some outfit which was suppose
to go to the states and the Pacific
will relieve us. We are about
the oldest depot over here, and
not up for redeployment. There
are some with a few months
only. I hope they decide to
send us home. Twenty five
months over here is enough.
     Luella sent me some photos
yesterday. I will need an intro-
duction when I get home. Gosh
how there kids have changed.
The picture of Duke. It is ok.
He looks as he always did.
How did he act when Harley
came home?
     Well, I guess a lot of the fellows
at home now can enjoy there

leaves much more. I suppose
a lot will still be sent to
relieve some of the men that
have been away for so long a time.
For me to get 85 points I will
have to be over a year yet.
     I had a nice letter from Marie
Luella, Freeman and you yesterday.
That is the way my mail comes.
It is alway about four letters and
then not for a week any mail.
    Well I guess this is all for
this letter. Keep your letters
comeing this way. Goodnight.
                              Love
                                    Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on August 16th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • During the final stage of World War II, the United States detonated two nuclear weapons over the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945, respectively

1 comment:

  1. The dropping of the A-Bombs saved over an estimated 500,000 casualties if we had to go with the planned Invasion of Japan on Nov 1, 1945. My Dad (Harley Brown) told me once he didn't know if he would have come back from that Invasion!

    ReplyDelete