Sunday, August 19, 2018

Belgium Aug. 19.

Dear Mom & Dad,
      Your letters and everyone's at
home have been comeing through
in about one week's m. In
you last letter you said you
believed you wouldn't like riding
in an airplane. It really is
pretty flying over this country.
The fields are small and they
plant there grains in irregular
shapes to stop the errosions. It
really makes a beautiful scene
from the air. When you get up
around 5,000 or 6,000 ft it really
is pretty. The other day comeing
back from England I could see
clear across the channel. It
really was a beautiful sight.
The white cliffs of Dover are

really pretty when you are flying
over them.
       When I was back in England
I use to tell you about flying
once in awhile. It was a test
hop in a B-26 Maruder. We
would go up to 12,000 feet in these
and the hottest days were cool
up there.
     Mother, if the movie "I
Live in Grovenor Square". This
is an English picture, but it is
the life of an American while
he was living in England. It is
a true life picture. I know you
will really enjoy it. See if if
you can. You can well understand
the work of the Air Force and how
the English people live and work.
I saw this in London on my last

trip there on VJ day.
     Well those Japs aren't getting
around to there part on the peace
are they? A couple of more bombs
would hurry them up.
      Well, today was a day off for
all of us. I got up at 11:30 this
morning and it has rained all
day, so I have just laid around
the tent. Gosh, I get so lonely
these Sunday afternoon's. I always
wonder what you folks are doing.
I would like to drop in without
anyone know I was anywhere
around. But, I won't. I will
let you know when I am
comeing home. I don't know when
it will be. Everyone has his
opinion of it. Some think we
will be home by Christmas.

    Other fellows say by next
 June. I figure I will be lucky
by Easter. We have plenty of time
overseas so maybe it won't be
much longer. I sure hope not.
     I guess this is all for
now. Hope your letters continue
to come through fast. Goodbye
for now.
                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on August 26th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • The Martin B-26 Marauder is an American World War II twin-engined medium bomber built by the Glenn L. Martin Company in Middle River, Maryland from 1941 to 1945.


  • Here are 2 pieces of information about the movie Ralph suggested his mother should see:
I Live in Grosvenor Square is better known by its American release title, A Yank in London. Anna Neagle, whose husband Herbert Wilcox produced and directed the film, stars as Lady Patricia Fairfax, who enters into a brief wartime romance with American air force sergeant John Patterson (Dean Jagger). The plot proper is based on a true WW II incident, wherein an Air Corps crew deliberately sacrificed their lives to save an English village of no strategic importance. The multinational supporting cast includes Rex Harrison, Robert Morley, Jane Darwell, and real-life American PFC Elliot Arluck. At the time of its release, I Live in Grosvenor Square was praised for the authenticity of its settings and characterizations. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

An Army sergeant John Patterson is taken off combat operations for medical reasons and is billeted in the London home of the Duke of Exmoor in London. There, he meets the duke's granddaughter, Lady Patricia, and they fall in love.
Box office1 million USD (US)

No comments:

Post a Comment