Thursday, August 16, 2018

Belgium, Aug. 16

Dear Mother & all,
        This is my first letter
to you folks with Peace all
over the world. It came sudden
and I guess hardly anyone was
looking for Japan to quit so
soon after Germany.
     Well I suppose you want
to know where I was, and
how I celebrated. To begin
it I was in the largest city
of the world. London England.
Now how did I get there?
Well to make a long story
short here is how I got there.
I had been working on one of
our transport C-47. The crew
chief asked me if I wanted to
fly with it to see if everything

worked ok. I accepted and
before takeoff the C.O. said,
"you fellow better take your
O.D's along. Maybe VJ day will
come." We had to bring furlough
troops back from England. It
was bad weather anyway and
he figured maybe it would close
in before we got back. Well it
did.
    I was in the Red Cross at
Marble Arch when the news
came over the radio and then
the celebration began. Fellows
that had gone to bed heard the
noise and out they came just
there underwear and shoes on.
Even the people of London came out
just as they were. I have never
seen such a crowd before in my
life.

   All day Wednesday Picadilly
Circus was jammed. Wednesday
night they had flares, skyrockets,
firecrackers, and a little bit of
everything for making noise. I
guess a lot of the celebraters
had never been on the continent.
A lot of the Yanks that have
been through it on the continent
felt as though a lot of it was
just a lot of foolishness. I guess they
have lost to many buddies over here.
    Well, I am glad it is all over.
Now maybe before another year
rolls around I will be able to get
home. I see by the paper gasoline
is off the rationing list. I bet
everyone will be out driving now.
    Well I arrived back at our base
this afternoon and found out a

two day holiday has been granted
to us. So there is no more working
now or tomorrow. I don't epect
we will be busy anymore. We
were getting planes ready for the
Pacific.
     I wonder what will happen to
Harley now? I see where the points for
discharge has been cut to 75. He
probably won't have to go to the Pacific.
I hope they send some over here
that have never left the states. They
could release a lot of men that
have been over here two years.
I don't think they will keep fellows
over here for occupations that have
been over her two years. I sure
am sweating out now to get home.
Once I got there I want to stay.
Well I guess it is about time

for me to put a finish to this
letter. Sure hope I won't have
to write many more. Mrs. Setzler
wrote a letter me. Said she
wanted to see me if I came home.
     Well goodbye for this time. I
start 26 months overseas tomorrow.
                                   Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on August 19th.

Background Information (and comments):


  • The following are articles, photos, and a video link to many items Ralph mentioned in this letter:

Victory over Japan Day (also known as V-J DayVictory in the Pacific Day, or V-P Day) is the day on which Imperial Japan surrendered in World War II, in effect bringing the war to an end. The term has been applied to both of the days on which the initial announcement of Japan's surrender was made – to the afternoon of August 15, 1945, in Japan, and, because of time zone differences, to August 14, 1945 (when it was announced in the United States and the rest of the Americas and Eastern Pacific Islands) – as well as to September 2, 1945, when the signing of the surrender document occurred, officially ending World War II.

Marble Arch
Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch in LondonEngland. The structure was designed by John Nash in 1827 to be the state entrance to the cour d'honneur of Buckingham Palace; it stood near the site of what is today the three-bayed, central projection of the palace containing the well known balcony.[1] In 1851 it was relocated and following the widening of Park Lane in the early 1960s is now sited, incongruently isolated, on a large traffic island at the junction of Oxford Street, Park Lane and Edgware RoadAdmiralty Arch, Holyhead is a similar arch, even more so cut off from public access, at the other end of the A5.
Historically, only members of the Royal Family and the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery are permitted to pass through the arch; this happens only in ceremonial processions.[2]
The arch gives its name to the area surrounding it, particularly the southern portion of Edgware Road and also to the underground station.

C-47, also called Dakota or Skytrain, U.S. military transport aircraft that served in all theatres during World War II and continued in service long afterward. It was used to haul cargo, transport troops, drop paratroops, tow gliders, and as a flying ambulance.


VJ Day Celebration in London video link: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KbrkjYbF5U
Photo of : Picadilly Circus on VJ Day - August 15, 1945

No comments:

Post a Comment