Monday, May 7, 2018

Belgium May 7, 1945

Dear Mother & all,
        I guess I am a little behind time on my
letter this week, but I have been haveing a
bad cold again. I was in Brussells and enjoyed
my trip very much. It really is a nice city,
but none of them looks as good as the old
home town would.
         Last night I went to the hospital to call
on a couple of the fellows that are sick. One
was released today and the other one tomorrow.
      We are all sweating out the news of the
official surrender announcement now. I guess it
is really finished here, and I know everyone
is glad of it. Maybe I can look forward to
getting home this year now. Don't get any
ideas that I will be right home, now that victory
is complete. There are fellows much more deserving
than I. All of them that has been at the front. When
I came in it was the duration and six months, so
you can figure the duration isn't finished yet. Those
Japs are still fighting. But I don't know what will

happen to us, and I don't believe anyone esle does
just yet.
       Received your letter of April 24 today. It always
makes me feel a lot better when I get a letter from
you. I am glad you are feeling much better this spring.
Last spring and summer I was really worried about
you. I believe Harley's trip home last August made
a big difference in your health.
        Yesterday for Sunday dinner we had steak
and ice cram and for supper we had hamburgers
and cherrie pie. It sure was good. The other day
when I was in a small town nearby and bought
a rub rhubarb pie. That was sure good. Special
News Flash just now. It is finished. You should
hear the fellows cheering.
         Well I guess I must finish now. I will try to
write later on in the week. Goodnight for now.
                                                   Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on May 10th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here's a timeline for events since Roosevelt's death until this letter was written on May 7th:

April 1945Death of RooseveltPresident Roosevelt died. He was succeeded by President Truman.
April 1945Russians reach BerlinThe Russians reached Berlin shortly before the US forces.
28 April 1945Mussolini captured and executedItalian partisans captured Mussolini and executed him.
30 April 1945Hitler commits suicideThe German leader, Adolf Hitler committed suicide in his bombproof shelter together with his mistress, Eva Braun, who he had, at the last minute, made his wife.
2 May 1945German forces surrenderGerman forces in Italy surrendered to the Allies.
4 May 1945German forces surrenderGerman forces in north west Germany, Holland and Denmark surrendered to Montgomery on Luneburg Heath. Admiral Donitz, whom Hitler had nominated as his successor, tried to reach agreement to surrender to the Western allies but to continue to fight the Russians. His request was refused.
7 May 1945Donitz offers unconditional surrenderHitler’s successor, Admiral Donitz, offerred an unconditional surrender to the allies.

No comments:

Post a Comment