Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Belgium May 30, 1945.

Dear Mother & all,
           Memorial Day 1945 and my
twenty sixth birthday. Your letter of May
22 today. So I had a very nice present
by reading your letter. Your letters
mean so much to me. Sometimes
I feel so blue and low down I
just don't know what to do, then
I come in and find a letter from
you. It alway helps cheer me up.
     You asked me what we were
doing now that the war is over. Well
our work is about the same. We
have to get them all back in A-1
condition again. In the future there
is going to be training programs.

   I have signed up for Diesel Engine
school. I want you to send me my
Diesel book. It is the big thick
green one. I can do a lot of studying
over here.
   I have been hearing from Harley lately.
I almost have him spotted now and
as soon as I find out the exact
location I am going to fly down there
and see him. I sure hope he doesn't
move before I can do this.
   I guess you have been doing a lot
of traveling around lately. I am glad
you are feeling much better this
spring. I sure wish I could get
out and travel around more. But
I am tied down and under regulations.

   I didn't attend any memorial services
today. Our chaplain held services Sunday.
I guess there was lots of places here
that did celebrate. But I guess there
has been to many celebrations this
month over here.
     I see by the papers and hear over
the radio that things are tough back
in the states. I guess we are getting all
the meat lately. Had steak for dinner
today. Our meals are very good
lately.
     Well I guess this is all for now.
Please keep the letters comeing. Send
my book as soon as possible.
                            Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on June 6th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Ralph was always proud that his birthday fell on May 30th, Decoration Day. At the turn of the century, it became known as Memorial Day. However, it was still celebrated on May 30th up until the year prior to Ralph's passing in June 1967.
  • Here's a bit of history about this holiday:
    • Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War. But in 1968 Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which established Memorial Day as the last Monday in May in order to create a three-day weekend for federal employees; the change went into effect in 1971.
One of Ralph's baby pictures


No comments:

Post a Comment