Sunday, October 29, 2017

France Oct. 29.

Dear Mother & all,
         Another week has gone by and time for
a letter home again. We have been very busy
this last week and are getting our camp looking
more like a place to live now. We are getting
out of the mud slowly and will be able to
take baths in a few days. Our meals are
improving and we are getting more rations.
I haven't been in town yet on a pass but
hope to go sometime soon after payday. I might
be able to send some money home from over
here.
      Gee Mother, I sure miss haveing my
laundry done for me. I tried to do some and
I believe it is dirtier than it was before I
did it. I was able to get some straw today
and stuff my mattress cover. So I guess I will
have a little softer bed to sleep on tonight.
      We had a very hard frost a few nights
ago. I hope I will be able to keep war [sic]
this winter. We have our camp in a woods

so we will have a wind break and also will
have plenty of fuel. There is just one catch to it.
We have to cut our own fuel.
      I have received quite a few letters the past
week. Marie told me about your visit over there
and what a grand meal you had for dinner. I
don't like to read about all those good meals and
not be able to have any of it. Today for dinner
we had fried chicken.
      Lenore told me about Harold working at the
cement plant again. Complaining about his long hours.
He can be lucky he is still at home. There are
so many over here that have families back home.
I guess I am not the only one to be breaking up.
There seems to be quite a few married fellows
that are haveing trouble along the same lines.
I think I am the best off myself. After all I really
don't know how long this war will last yet. I
know there will be a big change in myself to.
I don't even think very much of it anymore. I
guess as you say there will always be others.

I suppose you folks were to church again today.
I hardly ever receive any letters from anyone but
you folks and the rest of our family. Our church
services are held in a tent now. As I sat in
church today I could look out through the tent
flaps and you would never know it was a
Sunday. Cranes, bulldozers and trucks and
men all working. You would think that it was
just another day and it was a rushed job.
    Well this is about all for this letter. Hope I
will receive some mail soon. No letters for a
couple of days now. Goodbye for now. Please
write often.
                                            Love Ralph.
P.S. Please send me a package. If you can
get a small can fill it with popcorn and send it
to me. I will fix up something to pop it over
here.


The next letter will be posted on November 3rd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • For this letter, Ralph used tablet paper measuring 8.5" x 10". His other letters have been written on paper measuring 5" x 8".
  • Harold was Ralph's oldest brother. He was 34 years old when this was written (7/13/1910). He had been married to Lenore for 14 years (7/12/1930). They had 2 children, Harold James (Jim) Brown who was 13 (3/14/1931) and Marilyn Louise who was 7 (8/3/1937).

No comments:

Post a Comment