Sunday, October 15, 2017

France Oct. 15, 1944

Dear Mother & all,
         Well I will write to you
again and let you know I am
ok. I haven't time just yet
or things arranged so I can write
to everyone. They will have to
read your letters for awhile.
       We are living in tents and
aren't settled yet. It is really
mixed up here yet. No lights only
what we can provide ourself. At
present we are burning a chunk
of wood to give us some light.
It has rained everyday I have
been in France. We even had
to to dig a hole in the center
of the tent
and then bail out of the hole.
      I haven't caught any cold as
yet. We do have a good fire
to dry out by every night.
      I have seen France from the

air. It really isn't torn up
much in the country but some of
the towns are really gone. Just
a mass of brick and plaster.
    After I get home Harley and I
will have a lot to tell you about
France. I had a letter from Harley
yesterday. Hope I will be able to
find him. But I suppose he will
move before I can find him.
     Well tell the others I will
write when I possibly can.
Goodnight for now. I will try to
write later on.
                             Love Bill.


The next letter will be posted on October 22nd.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Ralph's given name was Ralph William. His mother always called him Ralph. To many others he went by Bill. This is one of the few letters that he signed as Bill.
  • When I checked to see if there was any significant event on this date, I found this "weather report" on one website:
    • The character of the war in north west Europe was now changing rapidly. The swift advances of the Allies had come to an end and both the British and the Americans found themselves engaged in bitter slogging matches against determined German defenders. The shorter, dark days and cold wet weather was to make for a miserable experience for all involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment