Friday, November 3, 2017

France Nov. 3, 1944

Dear Mother & all,
       I guess it is about time for me to get another
letter into the mail to you. We are haveing typical
fall weather now. It almost reminds me of
the weather we have in Michigan.
     Received your letter of Oct 17 this Monday. Lenore
had told me about Irene's grandmother. I should
write her a letter but I just haven't been in a
writting mood this week. Gosh I guess the sugar
factory at home can't run without me. They sure
have quite a few sugar beets in this part of the
country. It has been rather wet for the harvest of
them.
      I don't know yet where Harley is. But, if the girls
around where he is are as cute as they are
around here he didn't kid anybody. I was in
town on a pass last night. Maybe I will be
about to give out with some French talk by
the time I am able to get home. I was able to
converse enough to get by with while I was in
town. There isn't much going on in town over here.

     About the only time we can go is at night. The
only places open are the small cafes. A G.I. can't
buy any food. So all there is left is drinks.
I tried out there champagne but it isn't so
good. I guess the Germans took the best with them.
     Had a letter from Donna Staup today. She
sent me some pictures. Gosh everyone looks
about the same but the kids. They sure have
changed.
     I would have liked to have been home for
the class meeting. I guess I won't know very many
of the young folks when I get home. Seems as if
everytime I read one of the papers I get everyone
is getting married. It seems as if the ones getting
married are the one I considered kids when I
was home.
     From what Freeman writes to me it must be
rather lonesome for him up there. He says he
would like to come into the army. The army life
is ok for anyone. If they just had the training and
that would be all. But overseas it is really
rough. We are getting some of the roughness ironed out now.

     Have you seen Morgan Ford while he is home
on his furlough? I never hear from him. What is
he now?
       You were wondering if my clothes at home would
fit me. They probably will, but I probably will be
to old to wear that style. It seems as if this
war is always going to hang on. It is really much
tougher than most of the people back in the states
think it is. I think I have lost weight since comeing
to France. I feel ok though.
       Mother, it is tough to get shoe string
and the G.I. gloves are no good. Please send me
some of each. Also in the package you can include
some other things such as can soup and some stuff
like that if it isn't rationed. We like to cook some
things before we go to bed. The evenings are so long
here. By five thirty is is rather dusky.
       I bet your really enjoyed your trip through
Cliff's shops. I know you would hardly believe
a place could be so immense in size if you don't
see it yourself. I sure would like to have Dad

to see the place I use to work in Sandusky. I hope
it will run after the war. I would like towork
there again.
       Well I guess I have written enough for this
letter. We have the Yank magazine to read tonight.
If you can get some of these pocket book novel
stories please send me some to read. It is a long
evening and I am quite sure I won't be out very
many nights. I probably will save quite a bit of
money here in France. I have taken out a
soldiers deposit here. Our money draws 4%
interest and we get it upon discharge. So I should
have a good sum saved by the time I get home.
    The news sounds darn good tonight. This will
all end some day. Goodnight for now. Hope to
hear from you soon.
                                               Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Nov. 8th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • This is a photo I found of Yank magazine (published Nov. 3, 1944)

  • Here's some information about the pocket books Ralph requested:
"During World War II, American publishers wanted to support the troops," author Molly Guptill Manning tells NPR's Renee Montagne. "And so they decided that the best they could do was print miniature paperback books that were small enough that they could fit in a pocket so the men could carry these books with them anywhere."

"They're about the size of a smartphone, and they were tucked into the pockets of uniforms," Guptill Manning explains. "The paper that they were printed was about the strength of newsprint. And so it was believed that each book would probably withstand about six readings before it would start to fall into pieces."
  • Perhaps this is the good news Ralph refers to:

  • Allied commandos land at Westkapelle, on the Dutch island of Walcheren
  • German troops in Vlissingen surrender
  • Pro-German government of Hungary flees
  • US 28th Infantry division occupies Schmidt Hurtgenwald

1 comment:

  1. 4% interest caught my eye. My husband was whining this morning about the .009% he is getting on his checking account. $% really would have added up to a great return when the soldiers finally made it home.

    ReplyDelete