Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sunday Night March 19, 1944.

Dear Mother,
          Here it is time for me to
drop you a letter again. The time
has gone so fast for me. It seems
as ownly yesterday I wrote to you.
I didn't receive any letters from you
this last week. I received two
V mail from Luella. She said Harley
had to leave March 11. I suppose
he is gone by now. Oh well I guess
he really isn't alone. It is a hard
life ahead of him. What branch of
the services did he get into or don't
you know yet?
       This month has gone so fast.
I haven't had much time to myself

at all this month. I have been
very busy. I hope it let up a little
for me soon.
       I was at our Sunday Services
again today. The chaplain really had
a grand sermon for us today. It was
the biggest crowd I have seen at the
church. I suppose you were at church
again today. I sure wish I could drop
in at one of the services and surprise
everyone. It would even be a surprise
to me if I could drop in.
       There isn't very much to write
about tonight. We have had some
beautiful spring weather lately. It
makes a fellow a little homesick
I guess.
       I have been receiving letters from
Irene quite regular lately. Next

month April 20 is her birthday.
Please get some little gift for her.
Something for her hope chest. Get it
out of my allotment money.
In my allotment checks, are
they $20 checks or $40 checks? They
should be forty dollars. If they are
please let me know, if you can
when they were increased. They
should have been increased from $20
to include last September pay. Let
me know what the standings are.
I guess this is about all for
tonight. I am sending you a little
gift in this letter. Let me know
how it arrives and how you like it.
Goodnight for now.
                               Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on March 26th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I have no idea what the little gift was as just the letter was in the envelope as the Easter card was in a separate mailing.
  • I found 3 sources about military pay during WW2. Ralph's allotment checks are the amount he sent home (and not his monthly total). The article compares military pay to civilian pay:
    • http://www.usmm.org/barrons.html

No comments:

Post a Comment