Monday, January 2, 2017

England Sunday Jan. 2, 1944

                                    1
Dear Mother,
         Here is my first letter to you
of the new year.  New Years Eve for
me was very quiet.  In fact when
we heard Big Ben chime I was in bed.
So you can see it was quiet for me.
How did your spend your New Years?
I don't believe I have received and
letter of yours later than Dec. 9. I suppose
it will come through a lot better now
that the holidays are over with.
    It doesn't seem like the first of
the year for me. It seems as if time
is just another day. I really forget
what day it is sometimes. It seems
as if Christmas was years ago to me.
I guess a real Christmas for me was
about two years ago when I was
home. I hope I will be home so I
can spend Christmas with you next year.

                                 2
    I was at church services this morning
with that and the calendar I can tell
what day it was.  Other ways it is just
another work day, and plenty of that
to do to.
    Can't think of much to say tonight. If
you can get hold of some 620 film and
some of those boxes of cookies, please send
them to me.
     The other day on my day off I went
for a little ride.  I was at Epping England.
It is a small town just like all the
rest of the towns in England. I like to get
out and travel. I never figure on getting
very much traveling done after I am
home again.
     I have received two copies of the Record.
I really learned somethings I didn't know
before. I didn't know Glenn was Sunday
School supertendent. It was a surprise
to me.  You know I never seen any of you

                                 3
folks in 1943. It seems such a long
time ago.  Do you think I look any older
in my pictures?  I'll bet I will see a
big change in the looks of the folks at home.
I guess I will get a photo taken over
here and send you and Irene one.
     Well I guess this is about all for
now. I must write a few more letters
tonight.  If the others say anything about
not hearing from me regular tell them
there isn't a thing to write about.
Goodbye for now.
                             Love Ralph.
P.S. I really could make a big dent
in all those fresh eggs you are
getting now. What are they worth a
dozen now? I will really eat my fill
of them when I get home.


The next letter will be posted on January 4th.

Background Information (and comments):


  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513866/A-GI-Christmas-How-American-soldiers-bearing-gifts-extra-rations-proved-festive-hit-British-families-WWII.html
    • Here is some information about the European Theater of Operations which was headquartered in London.
    • "Headquartered in London, ETOUSA was first commanded by Maj. Gen. James E. Chaney, an Army Air Corps officer. Then-Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower replaced Chaney in late June, but the following month he departed England to assume new duties as the commander-in-chief of Operation Torch, the successful Allied invasion of North Africa. Eisenhower returned in January 1944 and the following month was officially designated as the Supreme Allied Commander Europe. He also maintained his leadership of ETOUSA, serving in a dual role until the end of hostilities in Europe in May 1945.

The command grew rapidly. At the end of January 1942 there were 4,000 American service members in the United Kingdom. That number swelled to 55,000 by the time ETOUSA was established in June, and by the end of the year 135,000 Americans were massed in Great Britain to train for the assault on the continent that would take place two years later on the beaches of Normandy. When the invasion was launched on June 6, 1944, more than 1.5 million U.S. Army personnel were on hand.
In addition to overseeing the buildup and training of combat forces, ETOUSA was also responsible for logistics and administrative services – functions that paralleled some of USAREUR's functions today."

No comments:

Post a Comment