Monday, September 19, 2016

England Sept. 19, 1943

                               1
Dear Mother & all,
     Well another week has passed
by and time for a letter to you.
I have been looking for a letter
from you for two weeks now
but none as yet. The mail
is certainly mixed up lately.
About the shortest in comeing
here now is V-mail. It comes
in about 10 days. Some of my
letters are 30 days old by the 
time I get them.
     Nothing much exciting has
happened here this week. I've
received a few letters and have
answered a few. It seems like
a typical fall out and makes
me think more of home everyday.

                             2
     I have made one of my weekly
visits to London again. I had 
a little different experience here
this time. I don't suppose I 
dare tell about so I must let
it wait until I get home and
tell of my experiences abroad.
     Luella stated in her letter
Freeman was working out and you
would probably explain more
later on. But no letters but I
look for some very soon now.
There is very little mail on 
Sunday here but we do receive
it. No one would know it was 
Sunday if the chaplain quit
comeing around. He comes around
and we knock off of work for
a short time and go to a short
church services held in some

                         3
of the building here at our base.
It always makes me think
of our little church back home.
As I sit there and listen my
mind sometimes gets to wandering
and I think how surprise
everyone would be if I could
just drop in on them back 
home. When I sit down to eat
my dinner I think that back 
home you are just about ready
to get up and it really doesn't
seem like the same world.
I suppose it won't be by the
time I get home. I know
everything will be changed. Even
the towns will probably look
odd and strange and there will
be a lot of folks missing I once
knew and there will be new ones.

                         4
     About Christmas this year
mother. I wish I could be there
with all of you, but that is out
of the question. So I will just be
there in thought and I will think
alot about it. I don't know
how I will manage on the 
presents. But I want you to
buy something for Irene out
of my allotments. I don't care
if it takes the whole check.
Then I am asking her over there
for dinner. You also ask her.
If she doesn't accept try to 
persuade her folks into having
her come. I want her there with
you this year.
     We have had a grand day here
today. It reminds me of Indian
summer at home. I'll bet it

                          5
is beginning to look pretty
around there now with the
leaves turning. They haven't
started here as yet.
     Mother could you send me
a package containing, peanuts
the canned type, candy, gum
and etc. It is all rationed here
and we don't get much.
I must close for now. Good
luck to everyone and hope to
hear from you soon.
                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Sept. 26th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here is some information about rationing in Great Britain during WWII. If you would like the entire article, the website is http://www.cooksinfo.com/british-wartime-food
In the 1930s, before the outbreak of the Second World War, the British population was somewhere between 46 million and 52 million.

Britain imported 70% of its food; this required 20 million tons of shipping a year. 50% of meat was imported, 70% of cheese and sugar, 80% of fruits, 70% of cereals and fats, 91% of butter. Of this, 1/6th of meat imports, 1/4 of butter imports and 1/2 of cheese imports came from New Zealand alone, a long ways away by shipping lanes.

Knowing this would lead the Axis powers into hoping to starve the British population into submission, by cutting off those food supply lines.

The British government began planning for wartime rationing in 1936. Should war occur again, this time they hoped to be better prepared based on their experiences the last time around. A Food (Defence Plans) Department was set up as part of the Board of Trade to do the project planning. Ration booklets were printed up in 1938, ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment