Sunday, January 3, 2016

January 3, 1943

Dear Mother,
          Here it is. Getting into the new
year already. It really doesn't seem possible
that it is Jan 1943. It seems just like
July out. It is around 80 here on Jan 1.
It was a work day for us so we didn't
do much celebrating. I went to town and to
a show. I saw the new year come in,
but it sure didn't seem like it here.
          I went to church this morning again
it makes 3 Sundays now I have been to
church.
          Two of the fellows whom came went
to school with me were shipped to another
outfit. Another one had a fit and is
in the hospital for observations. Gosh things
can change fast. I haven't been so busy
though. Thursday I was on special guard.
I was guarding the payroll of $17,100.
The gun was really loaded for business
and I had special orders from the Capt.
It all was left in charge on me and one


other fellow. I was sure glad when the
pay was over with.
          I received Irene's gift Jan. 1st. It was
a sewing kit, a flexible watch band and
Irma sent along a gift two. Did you hear
Irma has received a ring for Christmas?
          Well Mother, there isn't much to write
about anymore. Everything seems to be the
same routine day in and day out. So I
guess I will have to close for now. Goodbye
for now. I may write more in the week.

                                  Love Ralph.


Background Information (and comments):

  • Irma (apparently) was Irene's sister.
  • Ralph enclosed the church bulletin (and this one was still in the envelope with his letter, so it was not donated to the historical society). I will post it separately.
The next letter will be posted on January 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment