Tuesday, January 26, 2016

January 26, 1943

Hello Mother,
          Well I think it is about
time I dropped you a line again.
I didn't write Sunday so will
write tonight.
          We had such grand weather
the last five days of last week.
Sunday morning it was cloudy
and foggy. Monday it was warm
and muggy in the morning and
by noon you had to wear a
jacket. This morning it was
15 above again. Gosh I never
seen a weather change as
sudden. Everybody has colds here.


I am still working at Duncan
Field now. I think this week
will wind us up over there.
We are working on governors
this week. When we are done
we are suppose to have charge
of the propeller shop here at Stinson
Field. I don't know if we will
get our ratings yet or not. They
seem to like to keep them to
themselves. Mine will be at least
a staff sargent. That is what
is one the list for me. Maybe
a little better afterwards.
          Well I suppose you are
haveing the same cold weather in
Michigan yet as before. I sure


wish I could be back there to
see a good old fashion winter
again. I guess once you are use
to the snow you always will
want to see it. I always wanted
to spend one of my winters in the
south, but never again in the
Army. You never have any
time to yourself. Everything is done
by orders. Get to bed on time
get up certain time, eat regular,
when you go anywhere it is always
in formation. This always gets
very tiresome. Hardly ever a
minute to yourself. I really get
discussed sometimes. I guess I am
in one of those moods tonight.


I don't get so much sleep anymore
and they are sending men everywhere.
A lot of the fellows that made buddies
are leaving here. Two fellows whom
went to school at Parks with me
have lefted and one is in the hospital.
          Irene writes about everyday and
tells me how lonesome it gets being
there alone Sundays. Irma is there
but I guess they get tired of each
other everyday. She says she has
been getting letters from you, Luella
and Marie. I am glad you do write
to her. Try to have her out for
dinner some Sunday. Won't you?
          Say isn't Sunday your wedding


anniversary? I forget a lot of things
that happen. I will send my wishes
now for a happy one. I guess there
is a lot on our minds here now.
Things look good some days and
other days it don't look so good.
          I was at church Sunday again.
It is getting to be a habit again. I
guess it doesn't do any harm though.
          Well I guess I have told you about
everything Uncle Sam would care to
have me tell. I guess there isn't any
secrets though. Did the catcus live?
Please write soon and often. Say
hello to Ruth for me. I will drop
her a letter soon. I really am
busy lately.
                          Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on January 31st.

Background Information (and comments):

  • In the case of the aircraft engine, the propeller is the load and power developed is determined by the pilot. The function of the propeller governor is to adjust the propeller blade angle so the load on the engine will maintain the desired engine rpm at the horsepower setting selected.





No comments:

Post a Comment