Monday, April 9, 2018

Belgium April 9.

Dear Mother & all,
       Time has gone by so fast I
really forgot to write a letter last
night. I have been busy and by
the time night gets here I really
am too tired to try to write. It
really is a lot of hard work getting
a place going again. No mail has
arrived for a few days now, but
I expect it will catch up with me
soon. Received a package from Luella
the other day. It really came in
in good shape. I had worked till
ten that night and then when I
came to my tent I discovered the
package. I guess we ate most of it
that night. The crackers and cookies
wee real fresh and crisp. I sure
will be glad when I can get the fresh

from the store again. How are the
things on ration over there now?
    I wrote Vmail to most of the folks
the other night. I hope they don't
think I have forgotten them. After I
get settled I will try to write every
one a nice long letter.
    I can't think of any more to write
just now, so I guess I will turn
in and call it a day. Goodnight.
                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on April 15th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Here is some information on rationing:

CREDIT
 
National Archives
Elaine Norwich showing bushel of beans she just picked.
  • The events on December 7, 1941 catapulted the United States into World War II. The country’s entrance into the war meant many changes on the home front. Chief among these alterations was the introduction of food rationing in 1942. On January 30th of that year, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed into law the Emergency Price Control Act, which enabled the Office of Price Administration (OPA) to lay the ground work for food rationing, which was begun in the spring.

    Food Rationing

    CREDIT
     
    Library of Congress
    Signing up for sugar and food rationing in 1943
    Signing up for sugar and food rationing in 1943
    Under the food rationing system, everyone, including men, women, and children, was issued their own ration books. Rationed foods were categorized as either needing red or blue points. Individuals wishing to purchase foods under the red points scheme, which included meat, fish and dairy, were issued with 64 points to use per month. For blue points goods, including canned and bottled foods, people were given 48 points per person for each month. The OPA determined the number of points needed for goods based on availability and demand. The points values could be raised or lowered accordingly. Sugar was one of the first and longest items rationed, starting in 1942 and ending in 1947. Other foods rationed included coffee, cheese, and dried and processed foods.

1 comment: