Sunday, April 15, 2018

Belgium April 15

Dear Mother & all,
       A very beautiful and busy
Sunday again. I have missed
services four Sundays straight
now. I hope I won't be so busy
next Sunday and I can attend.
      Well, we had some very
bad and shocking news this
week. It really was a shock
when I heard the news. Over
here in Belgium no matter
where they have a picture of
Roosevelt they have it edged
with a black ribbon now. All
the Belgium people speak to you
about it and say. "It is to bad."
      Here in Belgium they speak
French as it was in France. I believe
there is more English spoken also.
We have Belgium men working

at K P and also have a chef
working in the kitchen. He really
makes some grand dishes. Even
C rations taste different now.
    Today was a feast for me in
mail. I received three of your letters
of Mar. 21 & 28 and April 5. Two
from Luella and two from Lenore. They
all were very interesting and I wish
I could have written each one a
letter before, but I really have been
busy and tired.
        We have received the citation
of the Meritorious Service Plaque.
This is for extraordinary performance
of duties during 1944. It is a gold
wreath which will be worn on the
right sleeve of our uniform. I guess
I will have to do a lot of sewing
soon. I will be sewing on four
overseas stripes and a hash mark.

When I came in I never thought
I would ever be in three years.
     The chain letter you folks
wrote Easter Sunday was very
interesting. Easter Sunday was just an-
other day to me. We were very
busy, but I sure hope I will be
able to be home with all of you
next Easter.
     I am sending you some snapshots
I have taken while I was in Paris
and in France. I hope to have some
more soon.
     We have had a few days of rain
and cold but now it is nice again.
We have the door of the tent open
and the sides rolled up.
     I sure would like to see Morgan
Ford. He is in England and has
written to me from there. I might
get a furlough back to England again and
if I do I am going to look him up.

     I imagine Morgan Meham does
look older. Too bad he couldn't have
arrived in time to see his
grandfather before he died. I guess
all the old folks in the neighborhood
are passing away.
      I guess this is about all for now.
I must write to a few others yet
tonight. I hope you don't have trouble
like you did last spring and summer.
Goodnight for now.
                                Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on April 24th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • President FDR died on April 12th.
  • Here is what C rations may have looked like during WWII:
  • Here are photos of the Meritorious Service Plaque and overseas stripes and hash marks:
  • Here are 2 photos that Ralph took while in France:



No comments:

Post a Comment