Friday, December 1, 2017

France. Dec. 1, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
          December already and before I know it
we will have another year. Gee it seems as
if the year of 44 was a very short one. I guess there
was to much excitement to make things go to
slow. I just wonder when this war will be over
with.
       I have sold my ring so the money from
it I will put in soldiers deposit. I will have
a very good sum in this by the time I get back. We
will be able to draw this out as soon as we
are discharged. Wish I knew when that will be.
    I haven't heard from Harley as yet. When you write
to him tell him to drop me a few lines. I would
like to have his new address again. I had a letter
from Gail Sanderson. He is in Belgium in the first
army.
      This is my day off, so this morning I went
into town with one of the fellows going to the laundry
where we get our laundry done. Gosh I get so

mad at myself for not being able to speak
French. Sure wish I could. When we get our clothes
back they are all pressed, even to our fatigues
and they do it all by hand, the ironing I mean.
      Received a couple of letters from you this week.
I guess the postoffice at home must be about a
month slow. The postscript was dated Oct. 15 and
your letter inside was Nov. 15. That is twice now
that it has been that way. Had a letter from Sis.
It was from Sept. 15 so you can see how slow
some of the mail comes through.
     I hope your Christmas packages comes very soon
now. All our packages are rather slow in getting
here. I guess most of the mail goes to the front line
soldiers first. If they have room then they bring ours.
A few packages are coming through each day so
yours are bound to catch up with me some day.
I suppose everyone will be a little peeved at me
for not writing very often. But really I haven't a thing

to write about. If you could see where we are
living you probably would wonder where we ever
get an inspiration to write.
       From what news I read in the paper and hear
on the radio we are a lot safer where we are
than if we were still in England. I guess those U2
are raising havoc over there now. I had enough
of England anyway. Now I just want to see France. I
was at Criel a few days ago. It is nice country
down that way and it surprised me to see that
there was very little damage done on the way there.
I guess they just tried to hit military objectives.
Well this will be about all for this letter. I will
wait to see what mail I have today.
     Well mail call is over and I finally came
out with four letters. One of them from Harley. So
now I have his address. One from Marie & Luella
and one from Pearl Myers niece.
     I went to the movie tonight and church. So that
just about ends my day. I must write a couple of
letters yet. Please write soon.
                                              Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on December 4th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • The ring he sold would be the engagement ring returned to him by his fiance Irene.

  • I'm guessing that Criel refers to Criel-sur-Mer. Here's where it's located: "The city of Criel-sur-Mer is a small town located north of France. The city of Criel-sur-Mer is located in the department of Seine-Maritime of the french region Haute-Normandie. The city of Criel-sur-Mer is located in the township of Eu part of the district of Dieppe. " (Look for #76 below)

No comments:

Post a Comment