Tuesday, November 28, 2017

France. Nov. 28, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
          I guessed I missed writing to you Sunday
night so will try to write a short letter to you
tonight. We are still haveing winter rainy weather
here. No snow as yet, but just that cold wet
rain.
     My mail from home is slow in comeing through.
I haven't had a letter from you for over two
weeks now. I sure don't know where it is
getting tied up. I hope it will soon start to
comeing in again. None of my Christmas packages
have arrive yet. So I guess all the mail is
slow.
     There isn't much to write about around here.
Pass have been opened for Paris so maybe I will
be able to visit that fine city some day soon. I will
tell you all about it after I get back from my
pass.
      I had a letter from Luella just a few days ago
and it was over a month old. I don't know where

it had gone before it got to me. She was telling me
about the hunting season opening. Sure wish I could
go hunting again for a change. It is pretty scarce
of game around here. I guess the fighting and bombing
drove most of it out of here.
       I really don't have much to write about tonight.
Last night we had to listen to the Articles of War.
They are the rules that govern us and we hear
them every six months. After they were read to us
they had a movie. "The Adventures of Mark Twain".
It was very good. I sure miss seeing the movies.
Well I guess this is about all I can think of
for now. Please write soon and often.
                                                   Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on December 1st.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I wonder how long it took to read the 69 Articles of War?

On June 30, 1775, the Second Continental Congress established 69 Articles of War to govern the conduct of the Continental Army. On April 10, 1806, the first United States Congress enacted 101 Articles of War, which were not significantly revised until over a century later. The military justice system continued to operate under the Articles of War until May 31, 1951, when the Uniform Code of Military Justice went into effect.

  • Here's background information on the movie, and a link to the original trailer for it:

This biopic tells the story of how Samuel Clemens (Fredric March) became the renowned author Mark Twain. Growing up in the 1830s in Hannibal, Miss., Clemens works as a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi River. After he finds a picture of a beautiful girl (Alexis Smith) and vows to marry her, he quits his job and travels to Nevada in search of gold with his friend Steve (Alan Hale). In the midst of the Civil War, Clemens begins writing prolifically, thus beginning his famed career.
Initial releaseJuly 22, 1944

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/96369/Adventures-of-Mark-Twain-The-Original-Trailer-.html

No comments:

Post a Comment