Sunday, December 10, 2017

France. December 10.

Dear Mom & all,
      Received your letter of Nov. 29
yesterday and your V mail of Nov. 7 today.
So you can see just how this
mail is mixed up. I received a letter
today from Irene's Mother it was
sent out Oct. 12.
      Well I have quite a bit of news
for you tonight. I had a pass
yesterday and I visited Gay Paree.
Paris is so much different than
London. Hardly any damage at all. It
really seemed good to see a large
city again that wasn't damaged. Just
a few bullet holes was all that
I saw. I was right in the heart
of Paris to. I visited L'Arc de Triomphe
The Eiffel tower and quite a few
other places of interest. I guess there
is to much even to try and write
about it. It is to large of a city to

try to see places of interest in the
short time we were there. I guess
I am seeing quite a bit of this old
world though. I have read quite a
bit about London, Paris and all the
other places that I have visited. I
never thought I would ever get to
see all of them. But best of all I sure
would like to get to see the old home
town again. That would be the best.
         I receive the Record once in
awhile but just now the Christmas
mail is so slow and so much of it
they just don't send them through now.
      I guess winter is setting in here
now. It is cold, and blowing, the
air and rain is about half sleet
tonight. I sure am glad we have
out [sic] tent winterized. It isn't so bad
setting right here by the stove,

     I am glad that the men have the
crops all harvested this fall. They sure
are haveing a time getting these beets out
over here. It is so wet and muddy
all the time.
      I guess this is about all for this
letter. I must write quite a few letters
tonight. Please write as often as
you can.
                               Love Ralph


The next letter will be posted on December 13th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Did you notice that this letter began "Dear Mom & all" and not "Dear Mother & all"?
  • Aren't we all wondering what Irene's mother wrote in her letter?
  • The Record refers to a hometown newspaper.
  • Ralph has been writing his recent letters on tablet paper. This letter was sent on "Sky Mail" paper in an airmail envelope with a 6-cent airmail stamp. (see photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment