Thursday, November 23, 2017

France. Nov. 23, 1944.

Dear Mother & all,
         Thanksgiving Day 1944 will soon be a day
of the past. Today was my day off so I thought
I would take a little trip. One of the fellows
had to take a wing to another base so I went
with him for the trip. It wasn't a very
good day for traveling but we made it.
        When ever we would go through a small
town or village everyone would stare at us
to see what we had, of course they all waved
and threw us the V sign. They really seeem
glad to see us.
       Over here you aren't allowed to buy any food
to eat so of course haveing a little trouble getting
over a pontoon we missed our dinner but they
saved the turkey until the evening me [sic] so
we just missed out on the steak they had for
dinner. I was really ready to eat supper tonight.
It really made me hungry to take a trip and
also miss out on my dinner, but I think it

was worth missing a meal. I wish I could go
more often. It really is a good chance to see the
country. Over here they have sugar beets and
today I went through the town where the
factory was. I reconized it by the smell.
The farmers are haveing quite a time getting their
beets out over here. It rains most of the time.
      What did you do today? Was there any of the
others home? I sure wish I could get home for
Christmas even. Gosh, I won't know any of the kids.
It will soon be two years since I saw any of
you folks.
       The war news sounds pretty good now. Maybe
by next Christmas I will be able to make it. They
should be in Germany doing all the fighting by this
Christmas.
         I still haven't had a letter from Harley telling
me that he has moved. Maybe he doesn't
have time to write to me or my mail hasn't
caught up with him yet. I doubt very much if
he knows I am in France yet. I looked it up on
the map where Cliff & Marie said he was

stationed at. He was quite a ways west of me.
I would have liked to found him before he was
moved.
        An editorial appeared in the Stars & Stripes a
while ago but I can't find the one. It was a very good
so here is one about the person who wrote it.
I thought it was very good. I will enclose it in
this letter. Where she mentions mud ankle deep
you can just figure she isn't lyeing about it either.
It is the worst I have seen any weather.
     I guess this is about all for now. Please
write soon. Your letters are always welcome.
                                                 Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Nov. 28th.

Background Information (and comments):
  • Here is the clipping included with the letter:
  • Found this photo online of some French people flashing the V sign

No comments:

Post a Comment