Sunday, May 7, 2017

England. May 7, 1944.

Dear Mother,
         Sunday again has rolled
around and time again for me
to have a few minutes of visit
with you. I didn't receive any
mail from you this past week.
I received a package of cookies
from Irene and a box of stationery
from Irma.
        How is the weather at home
now? We have been haveing an
awlful cold wind lately. It looks
like it will warm up now.
It was nice out today.
        Irene and Irma have moved
into an apartment in Toledo now.
I guess they figured it would
be just as cheap to have a

place of there own. I don't know
what was wrong when they wee
staying at Erwin's, but I guess
it wasn't much.
        Their address now is 1604
Collingwood Ave. Concord Apts. 3.
The week has gone by so fast.
I hardly can remember what day
it is anymore. I didn't think
of it being Sunday until almost
dinner time and then it was
to late for church.
        I was in London during the
past week. The parks there are
very pretty now. One would never
think that a war was so close
when you see the trees all leafing
out again. But then you don't
have to go far before you are
face to face with it again.

     I hope the rest of the folks will
understand why I am not doing
much writing. It is short of time
and also nothing to write about.
I guess I will have to call
this a letter for tonight. Please
write soon and often. I know
you have news to write about.
Goodnight. Don't worry about
me.
                           Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on May 14th.

Background Information (and comments):
  • I could not find any information about the 1604 address or Concord Apts., but I did find these 2 homes which were on Collingwood. I'm guessing 1604 was demolished for the freeway (see description below). Here is one website with pages of photos from the Old West End:  http://www.oldwestendtoledo.com/
  • The Audrey Hixenbaugh home at 1618 Collingwood probably stood in the path of the freeway.  James McCracken lived here according to the 1912 city directory.  The property had been listed as "vacant" in the 1911 directory.

  • The 1910 George Witker Home, 2823 Collingwood Avenue at Collins Street, appeared in the background of this 1940s photograph.  Mr. Witker was the secretary of the Paddock Merchandise Company that year.   He still lived here in 1912.  The 1918 Polk City Directory lsited Burton Gamble of the Gamble Motor Car Company located at 2143-45 Madison Avenue, as the resident.  The 1929 directory listed Joseph Kornfeld, the rabbi of the Collingwood Avenue Temple and his wife Josephine Kronfeld.   Norm Annis provided this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment