Monday, March 28, 2016

March 28, 1943

Dear Mother,
          I received your letter last week so
seeing this is Sunday night already I think
it is about time to answer. I got up
this morning with good intentions of going
to church. Then a fellow was asking how
to get to Duncan Field so I went with
him to see Harold Belding. I loaned him
some money once and thought I would
collect it. He is A.W.O.L again. So I didn't
see him. This makes the 4th time he has
been A.W.O.L so I guess it is the guard house
this time.
          Did you have church this Sunday?
I bet it did seem funny not to go to church.
Has there been anymore sickness in Berkey?
Irene wrote and told me about it, but
I received her letter the same day.


          It has been a grand day out today.
The sun has shown all day. It was
rather hot put there was a good breeze.
          Last week we were rather busy all
the time. We had a clothing inspection and
had to mark all our clothing. We had to
check and list all we have to receive yet.
Gosh it sure was a job. April 15th we
have another clothing inspection.
          I got some pictures from Luella and Marie
this week. I'll have to find time to write
to them and send them back to them. They
really are keeping us on the beam down
here. I am going to try and get a pass and
go to Houston to see if I can locate
Ilene Whitman and her husband. See if
King's have her address.
          I don't know if you know when Irene's
birthday is or not. it is April 20th. Just in
case you want to send her a birthday card.
It will soon be 4 months since I had a
furlough. I may be able to receive another
one. I don't know yet for sure. Maybe in
May or June. I sure would like to be
home on my birthday. I think if I do
have a furlough there will be a surprise in it.


          I am going to have to find time to write
a few letters. I am behind in keeping up
my letter writing. Gosh time I receive a
letter everyweek from you, Marie, Luella and
Lenore and a few others and Irene everyday
I have quite a few stacked up to write.
          Lights go out at 9:00 o'clock so it doesn't give
us much time to write. I try to answer
all my letters. I owe Mr. Meyer a letter but
I don't know what to write about.
          We have been getting some poor meals
to eat again. They don't have any bread lately.
          Well I can't think of much more to
write about. So I guess I will have to close
and get to bed. Five o'clock comes around
rather early. Goodnight and I hope there is
no more sickness in Berkey. Gosh how why


is it that disease like that has to start
out. Well I guess this is all for now. Write
soon. Tell Ruth I am expecting an answer.
                                  Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on April 4th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I'm guessing the sickness/disease in Berkey may have been the flu. The following information was found. Berkey is in NW Ohio, about 1/2 mile from the Michigan border. Ralph's first days in the army were spent at Ft. Custer.

Experience in 1943-44
Although influenza was inconspicuous during the preceding winter, each succeeding season carried the possibility of a severe epidemic which, with crucial operations mounting in many parts of the world, might be critical. Advance information was desirable. The virus laboratories of the Commission oil Influenza of the Army Epidemiological Board were still alert in various areas, and the continued high incidence of respiratory disease held the attention of all medical agencies. Commission investigators identified influenza B widely but largely subclinically in two institutions in Michigan during March and April; two cases of type A were also found. Sporadic cases of type B were also detected at Fort Custer, Mich., and among students at the University of Michigan.19 








No comments:

Post a Comment