Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Patterson Field Fairfield, Ohio October 28, 1942

Dear Mother,
          Well here it is Wednesday already.
There is a lot of excitement in camp
today. We have turned in our sheets
and pillow cases. All men haveing cars
at the field have been ordered to get rid
of them. I guess we are heading for
Texas about Monday. I wish I could
get home again, or even better not
even get any further away from here.
          They say we won't be leaving before
Monday. I wish you could come down
here on Sun. I know it is quite a ways
down here but I don't know when I will
be able to see you again. Maybe it would
be a too long a trip to make down and
back in one day so do what you think is
best, but if you do decide to come I
will meet you at some designated place.
The U.S.O in Osborn is easy to find. Let
me know someway if you think you
might come. If I leave before Monday
I will let you know. Bring Irene with
you. Nobody seems to know for sure
if it is true we leave Monday or not.


But that is the rumor going around
so the rumor is true we are leaving.
I am awlful glad I got home so many
times while I was here.
          I had so pictures taken last night.
I think I will have them send the proofs
to you. Then you pick out the one you
want and I will pay for the pictures.
Send them back to the Studio and have
one made for you and Irene. I am
haveing 2 big ones made. Don't tell
Irene though this is suppose to be
a surprise. You can get the glass frame
for your pictures and Irene will do
likewise.
          Well it has been rather cool here
this week. It is a grand day out today.
I hope it stays this way to at least while
I am here yet.
          I guess this is all for now. So long
I will let you know if I move before
Monday. Don't try to come if you feel it
is to much. I know how things are and
I seen you lately. Goodbye.
                                       Love Ralph


Background Information (and comments):


  • While trying to find any information about the U.S.O. in Osborn Ohio, I came across this information about the USO during WWII:

HISTORY OF YMCA ARMED SERVICES WORK WITH THE USO
The United Service Organizations (USO) was formed in the months before the United States entered World War II by a coalition of six civilian agencies to coordinate their civilian war efforts: the Salvation Army, Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA), the Knights of Columbus, National Travelers Aid Association, National Jewish Welfare Board, and the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). The YMCA and other welfare agencies had already been seeking ways to serve the morale needs of the increasing number of young men entering military training. With the September 1940 enactment of the Selective Service and Training Act, the military buildup accelerated, but the federal government had no plan for the provision of recreation facilities and activities in training camp communities. After a series of conference between representatives of the six welfare organization and several government agencies, a plan of cooperation was worked out with the endorsement of the President, the Secretary of War, the Secretary of the Navy, and the Federal Security Administrator. In January, 1941, the USO was incorporated to provide religious, recreational, welfare, and educational activities for men and women in the armed forces and in the defense industries. By the time of the United States' entry into the war in December, the USO had opened 139 clubs and 35 other units located in 98 towns and cities throughout the country.

The next posting will be on November 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment