Monday, September 21, 2015

Patterson Field Fairfield, Ohio September 21, 1942

Dear Mother,
            Just a few lines to let you
know I arrived here ok. We have been
placed in barracks here. It is a real
nice camp or will be when the get it
finished. I guess we are going to school
again. Our class was broken up into
3 groups. The two fellows that left Camp
Custer with me are still here with me.
I guess we will stick together for a
while yet anyway.
          I might be home on a pass or
furlough soon. I was over to see
about it today. I have to go back tomorrow
and find out about it. Might be home
before this letter gets there. I hope it
goes that way.
          Well there isn't much to say. So
I guess I will have to close. I am
rather tired and sleepy. I will think


of more to write when I get more
use to it here and know what the
whole thing is about. So long for now.
                                       Love Ralph


Background Information:

  • Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (AFB) (IATAFFOICAOKFFOFAA LIDFFO) is a United States Air Force base and census-designated place just east of Dayton, Ohio in Greene and Montgomery counties. It includes both Wright and Patterson Fields, which were originally Wilbur Wright Field and Fairfield Aviation General Supply Depot. Patterson Field is located approximately 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Dayton; Wright Field is located approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of Dayton.
  • The base's origins begin with the establishment of Wilbur Wright Field on 22 May and McCook Field in November 1917, both established by the Army Air Service as World War I installations. McCook was used as a testing field and for aviation experiments. Wright was used as a flying field (renamed Patterson Field in 1931); Fairfield Aviation General Supply Depot; armorers’ school, and a temporary storage depot. McCook's functions were transferred to Wright Field when it was closed in October 1927.[2]
  • Wright-Patterson AFB was established in 1948 as a merger of Patterson and Wright Fields. In 1995, negotiations to end the Bosnian War were held at the base resulting in the Dayton Agreement that ended the war.

The next letter will be posted on September 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment