Friday, January 19, 2018

France. Jan. 19, 1945.

Dear Mother & all,
        Received your welcome letter
of Dec. 28 today. It sure seems
good to hear from home again.
It has been sometime since I
received a recent letter. I did
receive five or six letters just
the other day. They dated back
to Nov. 3.  That seems so long
ago. I am glad you had a
very enjoyable Christmas. I would
have liked to been there. Maybe
net year, if not then the next.
This war is so uncertain
but the Russians sure are
getting the Kraut on the run now.
The news tonight sounds good.

I have received three packages
that I requested. Everything arrived
ok. I received two of them yesterday
and also a letter from Harley. He
seems to be takeing this war
ok. I know he has seen a
lot more action than I have already.
     I was in Paris yeserday. It
wasn't a very good day. It was
thawing and walking was sure
nasty. It seemed good to get
away from all these planes
for a few hours.
     I received all the back issues
of the papers today. I guess I
will be able to catch up on
all the news now. It sure
is going to seem queer to get
back there in Blissfield again.

   I received a letter from Irene
a few days ago. It was just a letter
and not like I use to get. So into
the stove. I can get my mind off
of her now. At first it was a blow
but two years away from her
sure changed things.
        Tell Dad he will have to use
that fountain pen and help you
write a few letters now. It looks
as if you do all the writing.
   Well this is about all for this
letter. Please write as soon and
often as possible. I will try to do
the same.
                          Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on January 24th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • This is probably some of the good news Ralph referred to:








January 1st
1945 
Weeks of fighting see German forces destroyed, taken prisoner or sent packing as the Allies regroup and respond.

January 6th
1945 
British Prime Minister Winston Churchill in the west coordinates via telegram with Soviet leader Joseph Stalin in the east on launching a combined January offensive. Churchill plans on the 20th as the target date.

January 7th
1945 
Stalin moves the offensive launch date forward to January 12th.

January 12th
1945 
The Red Army enacts a massive offensive against German foes along the East Front. His targets are German Army Group A and Army Group Center located in East Prussia and Poland. The battle line is a long running front from the Lithuanian coast down to the Balkans region.

January 12th
1945 
The Red Army offensive is spear-headed by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Belorussian Fronts as well as the 1st Baltic Front joined by the 1st Ukrainian Front.

January 14th
1945 
Initial thrusts by the Soviet Army prove positive against the German defense.

January 16th
1945 
Adolf Hitler reorders his forces, weakening key areas of defense, to attempt a flanking manuever against the Red Army near Poznan.

January 17th
1945 
Soviet forces engage German foes in East Prussia with gains being made towards Danzig and Konigsberg.

January 17th
1945 
The Polish capital city of Warsaw officially falls to the advancing Soviet Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment