Thursday, February 16, 2017

England Feb. 16, 1944

Dear Mother,
          I am a little late in writing
to you this week, but I really
haven't had the time, and when
I had the time on Sunday night,
well that is a story which will
be told when I am home. So
please excuse me.
     I haven't heard from you for
almost four weeks now. I know
your letters have been lost, because
some of the fellows received V
letters in white envelopes and
when they get them they are
reprints.
     I received four from Irene
today and a V letter from Cliff.
I have a little time now so

most of my time will be
spent in writing tonight. I really
don't know what to write about
though. It seems as if I don't
have any news.
     Received a V letter from Pearl
Myers. I must answer it soon.
It seems as if everyone is
writing to me and I hardly
ever know what to write back
to them. Received a letter from
Lenore and Luella telling about
Medusa Cement plant. They are
lucky only one person was
killed. Maybe there will be
enough jobs close to home for
me after all. I suppose it
looks like a lot of the buildings
I have seen in London.
     Kate Smith's program is on

the radio now. It is a
reproduced program. But it is
a good program. I enjoy the radio
very much.
     Well mother I hope your
letters do arrive soon. Try to
write me all the news. I will
try to write as often as possible
and every week. Goodnight for
now.
                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on Feb.19th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • I'm guessing this is the story Ralph cannot tell:

The Action of 14 February 1944 refers to the sinking of a German U-boat off the Strait of Malacca during World War II by a British submarine.Wikipedia
  • DateFebruary 14, 1944
    ResultBritish victory

  • I cannot find any information about the incident at the Medusa Cement plant. I'm guessing there was an explosion that damaged/destroyed a building (and a person was killed). If anyone else wants to research this and pass it on, I will gladly share it on a future post.

  • The Kate Smith Hour was a leading radio variety show, offering comedy, music, and drama with appearances by top personalities of films and theater for eight years (1937–45). The show's resident comics, Abbott and Costello and Henny Youngman, introduced their comedy to a nationwide radio audience aboard her show, while a series of sketches based on the Broadway production of the same name led to The Aldrich Family as separate hit series in its own right in 1940.
  • Here's a YouTube link to one of her radio performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv70sUYMILk&list=PL5sIk60uHMMmp_NDjVVKHlh_z_Ud9PjGY&index=2

No comments:

Post a Comment