Sunday, May 22, 2016

May 22, 1943

Dear Mother,
          Well here it is Saturday noon. Just got
through dinner and have a few minutes to
myself. We are very busy here. On the jump
from 5:30 in the morning until 10:30 at night.
We have to work tomorrow to. I will try to
write to you while I am here. I don't know
where or when we are going. Keep your letters
comeing here but don't send me any presents
here. Tell the rest of them too.
          It started to rain here this morning and still
is raining this noon. It really seems good
to see it rain again. It has been so dry
and hot here all the time.
          Well I am ready to be sent across. I have
had my training so I might as well put into
use all my training. The other day I took out
another $5,000 insurance. It makes $10,000 all
together. I also took out an allotment of
$20 a month to be sent home to you. Put it
in the bank for me. I think I will make out

a power of attorney and have it made out in
your name.
          I got a letter from Marie, and Luella yesterday.
Marie is afraid Clifford soon will be in. They
have enough in already. But I guess you can't
tell them that.
          Well it almost time to start in again.
I don't know what is in store for us the rest
of the day and night or tomorrow. But there will
be plenty.
          So long for now. You will be adviced on
my departure. If I go across write by V mail.
It is a lot faster. I don't think your letters
will be censored. Mine probably will be after
they we are across. Goodbye for now and
don't worry. We are a non combat unit. So long
for now.
                                           Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on May 26th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • Clifford was one of Ralph's older brothers. He was 30 years old when this was written (born Oct. 19, 1912). He was married to Marie and they had an infant daughter, Donna, (born Oct. 7, 1942).
  • Ralph's mention not to send presents was because he had an upcoming birthday on May 30th.
  • During the war over 1.5 billion (yes, b as in baker) V-Mail letters were processed. And yes, at some point in the future, Ralph sent some V-mail letters which will be posted.
  • Here's a link and some more information about V-mail: 
    • http://www.skylighters.org/encyclopedia/vmail.html

V-MAIL (16 K)
A "V-Mail" was comprised of a single sheet of paper measuring 4-1/4 by 5 inches. During World War II cargo space and weight on ships was at a premium and the hundreds of sacks of mail weighing tons took up too much valuable space. Mail was often held up in favor of supplies. To overcome the demoralizing effect of not getting the mail delivered,the post office came up with a standardized size paper and envelope. Letters were written and then microfilmed. The microfilm was then sent in place of the letter, saving valuable space and still getting letters to our troops and home to soldiers families. The letters were printed on the receiving end and then delivered. V-Mail was sent and received from June 1942 through November 1945.

1 comment: