Monday, April 11, 2016

Sunday April 11, 1943

Dear Mother,
          Well here it is Sunday afternoon
again and time for me to write you
a letter. I haven't received a letter
from you this last week yet.
I went to Houston Friday and
I found Ilene and her husband.
They are quite upset now. Herbert
has to leave for the army Mon.
They have a little girl born
Dec. 12. Gee she is a cute
little thing. They are so happy
about it. They were awlful
surprise to have me drop in
on them. They have a cute little
apartment they live in. I didn't
stay there overnight. They are
busy packing things and are
kinda tore up now. Saturday

afternoon they took me for a
ride through Houston. I really
is a beautiful town. Not so
many soldiers there as here
in San Antonio. It is a lot newer
town than San Antonio and there
isn't as near as Mex many
Mexicans as there is here. The
people have a more friendlier
outlook for soldiers there to.
          Ilene's folks send her the
Blissfield Advance every week.
It seemed good to see one of these
again. I got quite a bit of news
out of it that I didn't know about
before. Before I forget it. Ilene
said to tell you hello for her
and for you to tell King's
hello for her to. If Herbert
has to go into the army I guess
Ilene figures on comeing home
and living with her folks.

          We had a grand time visiting
and talking over our high school
days. There are lots of the boys
I didn't know where they were
but Ilene and Herbert knew. We
really had a grand time.
          They have a motion picture
camera and they showed me
quite a few pictures they have
taken with it. Quite a few of
them were taken when they
were home a year ago in Feb.
They have quite a few rolls
of film of the baby.
          I stayed there until almost
midnight. I would have had to
get a bus out at 8 o'clock in
the morning so I wouldn't have
seen them Sunday morning for

only a short time anyway. I took
the bus out of there at 1:30 last
night and I was in San Antonio
at 7:45 A.M.this morning.
          I had a grand trip down
there. The country is rolling and
poor from San Antonio until
you get about a hundred miles
east of San Antonio. Then from
Eagle Lake on to Houston it is
flat on more of a farming and
grazing section. They have corn
almost a foot high now. Another
place I saw them planting sugar
cane and they raise quite a
bit of rice through this section
too. You can ride for miles
and not see a house or farm
building. I saw quite a few
big cattle ranches. They have
big herds of the Burham cattle
through this part of texas.

I really enjoyed my trip down
to Houston a lot. I am glad I was
able to go. A fellow gets tired of
army life all the time and it seemed
good to get away from Camp for
a while.
          It has been quite hot here
all last week, and it is a hot
day today. Last Thursday I played
volley ball in the afternoon with
just a pair of pants on. Boy I
got a real good sunburn. My
face is all tanned good now.
I suppose I would look like a
Mexican if I came home now.
          Irene says you have been
having some more winter
up there again. Charlie Stutzman
is home on furlough. So I suppose

Irene is quite lonesome now
haveing Irma gone every night.
She says she wish I was
going to come home on a furlough
soon again. So do I. I don't
know if I will get another one
or not, but I hope so. I would
like to be home around my
birthday.
          Well this is about all I can
think of for now. So I must
close and send a few more
letters out today. I haven't much
ambition to write today. It is
too hot to write. So long for
now. Hope you didn't forget to
write last week.
                    Love Ralph.


The next letter will be posted on April 18th.

Background Information (and comments):

  • The distance between Houston and San Antonio is approximately 200 miles. Ralph said the bus trip took about 6 hours 15 minutes.
  • Eagle Lake is about 69 miles from Houston.
  • The breed of cattle was either a Brahman (imported from India in 1854) or Brangus (developed in U.S. in 1932 as a Angus-Brahman cross).
  • Ralph wrote a lot of letters to many people, but it only cost him time as postage was free. Here are 2 recent enveloped showing the post mark and cancellation stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment