Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Stinson Field Feb. 24, 1943

Dear Mother,
          Here it is Wednesday. I thought I would
drop you a few lines and tell you about
my income tax. I have filed a return
which is required by law, no matter if
you are a soldier or not. This can be
paid quarterly or all at once. It is $17.37
I was wondering if you could pay this
now and I will pay you when I get another
stripe so I will be getting a little more
money.
          This morning it was rather cloudy
and cool here. It has cleared off this
afternoon so it is a real nice day out.
Our weather here now is just like summer
back home. It was around 85 or 90 yesterday.
They say they have two summers here
one is warm and the other is hell. So
I imagine this is the warm summer.
          There have been rumors around that
we are going to move to another field.
How true these are no one knows.
Some say is is back north and some


say it is to the east coast or eastern part
of the country. We were told we probably
wouldn't leave the U.S. before Nov. So I guess
we will be stuck here for sometime yet.
This is no official news but it came
from a pretty good source.
          Last night there was a training plane
crashed near our field. Two person were
killed. They were from Brooks Field. We
have had two crashes on our field this
week, but they were just a flat tire
and a broken shock. No one was injured.
          Well I can't think of much more to say.
I may receive a corporal stripe the 1st
of March. Can't say as yet. So long for
now and write soon.
                                     Love Ralph.

The next letter will be posted on March 1st. 

Background Information (and comments):

  • Correction from last letters about Ralph's brothers. Glenn was 3 years older than Ralph. His second youngest brother was Harley.
  • I found a website that had February 1943 USAAF Stateside Accident Reports. I was shocked at how many accidents, especially fatalities were recorded. I've copied 3 records that I found for Brooks or Stinson Field (just in Feb.). Here is the website: 

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/

DateAircraft TypeSerial NumberSqdnGroupHome BaseAFActionDPilotCountryUS StateLocation
430202  AT-6A 41-330Brooks Field, TX KSSP 5 Harris, Lucian F USATX 5 Mi Sse Brooks Field, TX 


KSSPKilled, Stall / SPin
430222  O-52 40-2797Brooks Field, TX LACGL 3 Pitcher, George P Jr USATX Stinson Field, TX 

LACGLLanding ACcident causing a Ground Loop
430223  O-52 40-2781347 Obs Tr  Brooks Field, TX KLAC 5 Williams, Robert C USATX 3 Mi NW Brooks Field, TX 
KLACKilled, Landing ACcident

No comments:

Post a Comment